New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    no need for an apology, just that the thread starter is a newbie to detailing, and 2000 grit sandpaper will make this worst for a newbie. sand paper and rubbing compound both cut into the paint.

with wet sanding you cut the microscopic paint ridges which are commonly known as "orange peel or balat suha" this evident in newly repainted cars.

With rubbing compound you finish what the sandpaper has left behind, sanding marks which are now lighter than "orange peel". This is done with a wool pad and a higher grit rubbing compound.
    Then you can finish it off with a finer cutting pad and finer grit compound, 3M has different grades or grits of rubbing compound for different applications. Other brands have even finer grits. Like Menzerna.

After compounding you then follow up with polish, for newly painted cars final application is glaze. then after 3 months that's when you wax or seal it.

with m2qt4u's problem, it started with swirl marks on a black car, a very common problem with dark colored cars, usually aggravated with wrong washing techniques and equipment.

Lite swirls can be removed with polishing. For deeper swirls lite compounding may be required.

With the "oily spot" you can have your detailer polish the panel to even out the whole panel, from there he can judge if you have cut too much of the paint or not. Then decide on the next best approach.

for newbies, if unsure of what to use, always start with the least abrasive.
    Last edited by impulzz; July 28th, 2007 at 01:37 AM.

2. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Thanks a lot guys! I really appreciate all your efforts in helping me out. I think the "detailing bug" has gotten into me now. I ordered my detailing arsenals from Amazon.com (you wont believe the prices.!!..Megs, Mothers..etc., more than half of the retail price in our local DIY stores). I work in cruiseship in Miami so I have friends going home every week here, I dont have to pay international shipments for my orders..hehehe..
    As soon as I got the "arsenals", I'll post it here and I hope you guys can tell me which one is which...Thanks again.

BTW, my unit is just 1month old.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by m2qt4u View Post
    Thanks a lot guys! I really appreciate all your efforts in helping me out. I think the "detailing bug" has gotten into me now. I ordered my detailing arsenals from Amazon.com (you wont believe the prices.!!..Megs, Mothers..etc., more than half of the retail price in our local DIY stores). I work in cruiseship in Miami so I have friends going home every week here, I dont have to pay international shipments for my orders..hehehe..
    As soon as I got the "arsenals", I'll post it here and I hope you guys can tell me which one is which...Thanks again.

BTW, my unit is just 1month old.
    just follow impulzz's advice. find a moderately abrasive compound in the kit you bought (usually called swirl remover or microfinishing compound), buff it with that, then progress down to less abrasive compounds (like a cleaner polish next, then glaze, then sealant, or something to that effect).

don't do the 2000 grit paper. i used to work in a bodyshop too, and the tolerances for those are razor thin even if you're a pro. you can easily burn the paint right through if you're not careful. plus, 2000 paper is no less abrasive than typical rubbing compounds. finally, in my experience you really can only buff out sanding marks properly using a machine, which i don't know if you have.

speaking of which, if you have a regular way to bring stuff in from abroad, you can make some money buying Porter Cables for some of the detailing nuts here

Quote Originally Posted by M54 Powered
    speaking of which, if you have a regular way to bring stuff in from abroad, you can make some money buying Porter Cables for some of the detailing nuts here
    Commish, pabili ng Portah Cable, I'll PM you my shipping address ok, sagot mo na yung shipping

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
How To Remove 3m Rubbing Compound Marks?