New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    I tried waxing it, buffing it with MF cloth but the oily marks just wont dissapear. My ride is a black fort ergo prone to minor swirls that are easily removed by a 3M rubbing compound, but my problem is the aftermath. PLEASE HELP!!!!

TIA

2. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    removing swirls with a rubbing compound? that's a bit harsh.. you should have opted for a lesser abrasive product such as a polish.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    yup polish up with a machine or hand glaze to remove swril marks...

4. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Yes, hand glaze would do just right. Then follow up with Simoniz quick shine.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    hope you haven't rubbed it too much or you would have removed too much top coat.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Yeah, got my lesson now. Thanks guys. So whats the best thing to do with this oily spot residue from the rubbing compound?

7. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    sand with 2000 grit sand paper
    much better if you have a buffing machine
    use "Guilder rubbing compound" and kerosene
    hope this works for you

8. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    I guess moral is leave rubbing compounds to the pros.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by emongedmund View Post
    sand with 2000 grit sand paper
    much better if you have a buffing machine
    use "Guilder rubbing compound" and kerosene
    hope this works for you

never do this if your not sure with what you are doing, using 2000 grit sand paper is more dangerous than rubbing compound. just bring it to your favorite detailer and they can tell what needs to be done, also you can ask them what you did wrong, and what you should have done to avoid the damage.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by impulzz View Post
    never do this if your not sure with what you are doing, using 2000 grit sand paper is more dangerous than rubbing compound. just bring it to your favorite detailer and they can tell what needs to be done, also you can ask them what you did wrong, and what you should have done to avoid the damage.
    Sorry, this are just my suggestions if you can do it yourself coz ive been doing this eversince to my customers.
    Using 2000 grit sand paper is a very fine kind of LIHA.. when applied to body paint in one direction with water and a bit of soap, it will remove oils and light scratches. as long as you apply it on light pressure, it will not affect the body top coat unless the topcoat is very thin..if so, repaint body top coat. Guilder rubbing compound is like a gel with very fine abrasive, unlike 3M, the texture is rough. Applying it with kerosene and a buffing machine then wax will result to a mirror like shine..
    this is how they do it in most Automotive body shops if you plan taking it to detailers..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
How To Remove 3m Rubbing Compound Marks?