New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2009
    *Karuro: Turtle Wax Ice clay kit in my experience doesn't do much as compared to the real clay bars, it does help to remove some and relatively few of those particles that are still stuck after washing the car but over all even after using the Liquid Kit there's still some particles that are left behind. However what i bought in Ace hardware was the one with a MF cloth, 16oz liquid clay and the blue applicator sponge, not the one in your link, i haven't seen the one in your link that has a real claybar for sale here locally. i would love to buy and test that though, lemme know if you see any shops here in the phil selling that kit with a real claybar.

P.S. don't even try to buy the sachet's, weird though that Ace hardware sells the sachets way cheaper as compared to the kit, initially i bought the sachet to try it on my car, but after using it with an SM Arnold Applicator pad it didn't do much, then the next time i got back i saw the kit and being an impulsive buyer i bought it thinking maybe i should use the foam pad that comes with the kit to be able to work the product, and guess what? 1295 Pesos down the drain, it still doesn't work. All it does is make the surface well lubricated but if you really feel it, there are still particles left, but its really easy to use although not as effective as Megs and Mothers, My advise would be just get Megs or Mothers since its also priced nearly the same. Hope this helps

*gwapster: yup claying is definitely worth the time, it prevents more build up of particles. can you imagine a car that just got washed, but not clayed and then went thru the hands of an inexperienced detailer that placed too much pressure on the polisher or was buffed by hand with strong pressure? Some of those particles might be transfered to the polisher or the MF cloth, and once rubbed around the car without noticing, VIOLA!! swirl marks!!! if its on the foam pad? swirl marks galore!! so yeah taking time to make sure the surface is brand spanking clean is definitely worth your time, i believe claying will definitely help in preventing swirls, as well as proper washing and wax application and removal that is

* Chikselog: yup a good claykit is definitely worth it, so try to save up for one, at first i was a skeptic thinking what in the world can a clay do to my car? and what id**t thought of using a clay to clean a car? After listening to Sir Paul of Bigberts i told myself what the heck its just 1295, and got one from mothers, and upon first usage on the hood i was shocked to see that the clay was really dirty and i wasn't even finish on half of the hood, and the results of using a clay is a smooth clean particle free surface that will definitely improve the final outcome of your detailing regimen. Just a tip though, try to apply a glaze if you are fond of using them after you clay, i noticed that claying can also strip the brillance and shine of some paints especially older ones, 3m sells 3m IHG sachets (you can use other glazes that you already have tried and tested) for only 40 bucks (cheaper than the bottle if compared per ml) and the shine you get from applying it after you clay will definitely improve your paint condition.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by madkatz View Post
    * Chikselog: yup a good claykit is definitely worth it, so try to save up for one, at first i was a skeptic thinking what in the world can a clay do to my car? and what id**t thought of using a clay to clean a car? After listening to Sir Paul of Bigberts i told myself what the heck its just 1295, and got one from mothers, and upon first usage on the hood i was shocked to see that the clay was really dirty and i wasn't even finish on half of the hood, and the results of using a clay is a smooth clean particle free surface that will definitely improve the final outcome of your detailing regimen. Just a tip though, try to apply a glaze if you are fond of using them after you clay, i noticed that claying can also strip the brillance and shine of some paints especially older ones, 3m sells 3m IHG sachets (you can use other glazes that you already have tried and tested) for only 40 bucks (cheaper than the bottle if compared per ml) and the shine you get from applying it after you clay will definitely improve your paint condition.
    i guess wash->clay->wash->mother's step 1,2,3 works? or should I add the 3M IHG?

3. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    I own an 18 month old white fortuner. Obvious yung road tar or asphalt na nakadikit sa ride ko specially after driving through rain`and floods. Part of cleaning/detailing regimen for my ride is using WD40 to remove road tar or asphalt from my vehicle...something I picked up from brother in law who lives in the states. WD 40 is made up of fish oil so i guess there's little or no harm on the top coat. So far the results on my ride and in two other cars (2001 Honda Accord and a 2004 CRV) in the house have been outstanding. Here's how I do it.

1. Hose down the car to remove loose dirt and dust and towel dry.
    2. Spray a liitle WD 40 on a terry cloth and gently rub rough areas. Notice how the cloth turns into brown after a few strokes. continue until surrface is smooth or dark specs are totally removed.
    3. After doing all rough areas shampoo the car completely.
    4. Your car is now ready for waxing.

Been doing doing these for a few years now.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2009
    * chickselog: moms step 1, 2 and 3 will work great results already, no need for 3m IHG. Step 2 also has glaze properties very much like 3m IHG. And moms step 2 is definitely easier to work with than compared to 3m IHG, but its also more expensive

5. Join Date
    Dec 2008
    thanks madkatz, well said..

isa pang question ko sa mga expert dito, sana hindi pa ot..
    -> nakakanipis din ba ng topcoat ang claying? or yung impurities and contaminants lang talaga ang naaalis?

TIA

6. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by madkatz View Post
    * chickselog: moms step 1, 2 and 3 will work great results already, no need for 3m IHG. Step 2 also has glaze properties very much like 3m IHG. And moms step 2 is definitely easier to work with than compared to 3m IHG, but its also more expensive
    i see..thank you sir ang kulang ko nalang ay clay kit and step 1..pansin ko rin kasi na di gaano tumatagal ang shine and water-beading properties ng mom's step 3 ko, i guess i need to prep the paint well na..

BTW does the claying + step1,2,3 GREATLY reduce swirl marks? Those pesky swirl marks are getting in my nerves

Quote Originally Posted by karuro View Post
    thanks madkatz, well said..

isa pang question ko sa mga expert dito, sana hindi pa ot..
    -> nakakanipis din ba ng topcoat ang claying? or yung impurities and contaminants lang talaga ang naaalis?

TIA
    AFAIK po completely safe po ang claying sa clearcoat ng car and yes, ang naaalis lang talaga ay yung mga contaminants and impurities like asphalt, mud, etc.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    *Chikselog

claying + step1,2,3 only hides swirls.. Kelagan mo gumamit ng polish.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Does claying remove clearcoat scratches?

Or dapat i rubbing compound na? :/

Edit: Sorry dunno how OT this may sound.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Chikselog View Post
    i see..thank you sir ang kulang ko nalang ay clay kit and step 1..pansin ko rin kasi na di gaano tumatagal ang shine and water-beading properties ng mom's step 3 ko, i guess i need to prep the paint well na..

BTW does the claying + step1,2,3 GREATLY reduce swirl marks? Those pesky swirl marks are getting in my nerves

AFAIK po completely safe po ang claying sa clearcoat ng car and yes, ang naaalis lang talaga ay yung mga contaminants and impurities like asphalt, mud, etc.
    thanks Chikselog.. ok lang pala kahit medyo madalas mag-clay..

10. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by karuro View Post
    thanks Chikselog.. ok lang pala kahit medyo madalas mag-clay..
    hehehe ask nyo na lang rin po si sir Starex_Gold.. sa kanya po ako natuto

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
HELP: Couldn't Remove Rough Stuff from my Paint