New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Need help. We'll be picking up our car (a black Toyota Corolla Altis S) next week that's being repaired for long scratches (vandalized) and small scratches everywhere. It got small scratches (I was told) from the waterproof cover (the car's covered every night because our garage is roofless and gate-less). What can I do/use to protect the paint from scratches (say use DIY car wax or have it waxed/detailed)? Is true it gets scratched by the car cover? Budget is a concern. Appreciate your inputs, thanks.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Big Bert's paint protection.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by meledson View Post
    Big Bert's paint protection.
    Thanks, but is that something you buy from the mall? Sorry ha, sobrang naive...

4. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by jr_altis_s View Post
    Need help. We'll be picking up our car (a black Toyota Corolla Altis S) next week that's being repaired for long scratches (vandalized) and small scratches everywhere. It got small scratches (I was told) from the waterproof cover (the car's covered every night because our garage is roofless and gate-less). What can I do/use to protect the paint from scratches (say use DIY car wax or have it waxed/detailed)? Is true it gets scratched by the car cover? Budget is a concern. Appreciate your inputs, thanks.

Since your car is newly painted, it will be dry to touch but for the next 3 months you'll have to let it breath out all the solvents of the paint. Don't wax the car for 3 months if you want you can glaze it but thats it. regular washing with car shampoo(with no wax mixed in the shampoo), is ok. also take care when using car covers, as these can cause swirls or light scratches.

also when you pick up the car. make sure the painter has removed all the "orange Peel or balat suha", specially near the edges, cause when the paint has set, its harder to remove.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by impulzz View Post
    Since your car is newly painted, it will be dry to touch but for the next 3 months you'll have to let it breath out all the solvents of the paint. Don't wax the car for 3 months if you want you can glaze it but thats it. regular washing with car shampoo(with no wax mixed in the shampoo), is ok. also take care when using car covers, as these can cause swirls or light scratches.

also when you pick up the car. make sure the painter has removed all the "orange Peel or balat suha", specially near the edges, cause when the paint has set, its harder to remove.
    Thanks, appreciate this. Where do I get 'glaze' product?

6. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Any inputs on 'glazing' the car? What to do to avoid the scratching from car cover? Thanks in advanced.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by jr_altis_s View Post
    Thanks, appreciate this. Where do I get 'glaze' product?
    you can get 3m hand glaze at handyman or true value stores.

as for the car cover. before you put it on the car, its better if:

1. you wash the car first
    2. have a few bath towels placed on the flat surfaces like the hood, roof and trunk, before putting on the car cover.
    3. also better when you remove and put on the car cover you have some one help you, so you won't be dragging around the car cover on the car.

Car paint protection after repair