New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    i want to restore the paint of my front bumper and i am planning to use just an ordinary canned spray paint. Will these restore the original shine and luster of a car paint?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by colt45
    i want to restore the paint of my front bumper and i am planning to use just an ordinary canned spray paint. Will these restore the original shine and luster of a car paint?

i think meron ng thread na ganito before. pero anyway.....

the answer is no....canned paint is not automotive paint. its lacquer. lacquer paints are best for walls, woods and iron. not for materials in which bumper is made of. hindi magpapantay pantay ang application nyan because lacquer is not absorbed by the material in which bumpers are made of.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    even if you do get automotive acrylic (like Do.It), it won't work that well since the nozzle of spray cans aren't uniform and fine enough to do a decent coat without moisture getting in...

i've tried it and it's really hard with a spray can... the internal pressure just isn't strong enough to produce a nice mist...

in addition, if you're spraying the bumper, you'll need to use a plastic primer for the paint to stick to...

lastly, you must know how to wetsand properly, otherwise, the newly painted surface will look dull and orange peeled.

now if you have an airbrush kit or an air compressor and paint gun... that's a different story... :mrgreen:

4. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    ganun ba? buti na lang i haven't bought them yet. thanks for the replies.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    This might help..

Simple Bumper Scuff Repair

When just a touch-up isn't enough

by Steve Temple/autoMedia.com

Step 1 Thoroughly wash the damaged area and remove any grease or oil.

Step 2 Sand the area in several directions, but avoid rubbing on one spot for too long.

Step 3 Check for smoothness of the sanded contours by rubbing your bare hand over the surface.

Step 4 After you're done sanding, wash the area once again to remove any residue.

Step 5 Mask off the area to be painted with heavy paper (newspaper is probably not thick enough).

Step 6 Spray the primer on in several light coats. Don't get too close to the surface or you'll get drips.

Step 7 Sand between coats of primer to remove any drips or other imperfections.

Step 8 Once you're satisfied with the smoothness of the surface, apply a final coat of primer and let dry for about 30 minutes.

Step 9 As with the primer coats, apply the color coats in several light applications.

Step 10 After peeling away the masking tape and paper, you may find a slight edge on the patch. Rubbing compound may remove it, or use very fine wet-or-dry sandpaper and then feather in the borders with a light spray.

Step 11 A final layer of clear coat can be sprayed on if you want to match the paint as closely as possible.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    that's nice stuff theveed! My problem though is repainting the whole bumper.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    whole thing? just get it done by a paint shop... remove the bumper and leave it with them for a couple of days... virtually no downtime on your part...

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    and it's much safer, at least ung magpipintura, alam na kung ano dapat gawin...

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    you can improve the atomization of an aerosol rattle-can by dunking the spray can in warm-hot water (but not too hot!) for several minutes before use...

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Thanks for the info. Ganda. :D

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
canned spray paints