New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    I saw last week that my car has a huge scratch on the door and fender.

I used polishing compound for the small scratches and rubbing compound for the bigger scratch which I cannot remove (see picture). I am not sure if the paint was chipped off already or I am not rubbing hard enough. I was given a small can of touch up paint by casa. Should I just use that? I would assume this is 2 panels. The last time I had a scratch repainted (smaller than 5 cents) it was P2.5k ata. I don't wanna pay that much anymore

2. Join Date
    Aug 2012
    The paint looks chipped off to me. No more metallic particles. If you want to try DIY repair..

1. Clean the area using soap and water or wax and grease remover.
    2. Apply touch up paint. Let it dry.
    3. Apply clear coat. Let it dry for 3 days.
    4. Apply rubbing compound to the whole panel to make the area smooth and shiny.
    5. Wait for 30 days before waxing the repainted areas. (Other parts of the panel with original paint can be waxed.)

3. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by _Cathy_ View Post
    I saw last week that my car has a huge scratch on the door and fender.

I used polishing compound for the small scratches and rubbing compound for the bigger scratch which I cannot remove (see picture). I am not sure if the paint was chipped off already or I am not rubbing hard enough. I was given a small can of touch up paint by casa. Should I just use that? I would assume this is 2 panels. The last time I had a scratch repainted (smaller than 5 cents) it was P2.5k ata. I don't wanna pay that much anymore

they gave you touch up paint!!?? you must be a very good customer, or a stockholder!
    when i was asking for touch up paint, all they gave me was their apologies..

but way back in the 90s, they were giving touch up paint to new car buyers.. i know, because i was able to borrow and use a friend's, whose car had same color as mine..

4. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    if the black trim can be detached it'll make the job a bit easier.

paint a 1" bar of the touch up on a clear plastic tape or sheet to compare it to the non-damaged paint. another convenience point if they gave an almost exact match.

it's still gonna be a lot of work and don't expect it to be perfect but most of the time, others won't notice the repaired bit, only 1 will.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by red_one View Post
    The paint looks chipped off to me. No more metallic particles. If you want to try DIY repair..

1. Clean the area using soap and water or wax and grease remover.
    2. Apply touch up paint. Let it dry.
    3. Apply clear coat. Let it dry for 3 days.
    4. Apply rubbing compound to the whole panel to make the area smooth and shiny.
    5. Wait for 30 days before waxing the repainted areas. (Other parts of the panel with original paint can be waxed.)
    What do I use to apply the paint for a scratch this big? For small chip offs I just used a toothpick but this won't work for the current scratch my car has

Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    but way back in the 90s, they were giving touch up paint to new car buyers.. i know, because i was able to borrow and use a friend's, whose car had same color as mine..
    Touch up paint was standard nga in the 90s. I don't know why it isn't anymore. Here's the small can of paint they gave me:

Quote Originally Posted by indiej View Post
    if the black trim can be detached it'll make the job a bit easier.

paint a 1" bar of the touch up on a clear plastic tape or sheet to compare it to the non-damaged paint. another convenience point if they gave an almost exact match.

it's still gonna be a lot of work and don't expect it to be perfect but most of the time, others won't notice the repaired bit, only 1 will.
    Yup I don't mind if it is not perfect anymore.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    nyay, parang gusto kong takpan yang nakabukas na yan.

take a bit and thin it cos it might be a bit strong. 50% thinner, you can graduate til 100%. paint store should advise the right thinner for it. probably for urethane.

give 15 minutes per thin coat until full hiding.

you can brush it on, just a few strokes and leave it to flatten itself. those drying, "leave it, don't touch it", intervals are a pain but wait we must.

but that black trim!

7. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    If you have a spare bottle nail polish, clean it up. Then transfer some touch up paint to the nail polish bottle.

This will prolong the life of your touch up paint can.

The nail polish brush will also give you better control when touching up small nicks and chips.

As *indiej said, it would be better to thin out the touch up paint a little bit. Apply the touch up paint as multiple thin coats allowed to dry. (Blobs only work if you're patching up small chips.)

8. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    nasobrahan sa kiskis ,lumabas tuloy masilya..

pa bugahan nyo nalang po.patimpla kayo sa paint center baka nasa 200 pesos lang yan saka i upa nyo ng labor mga nasa 500 yan.

maka tipid kayo kaysa in can or i touch up, nyo pa.