New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines



Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3
    #1
    I'm planning to have my SUV installed with some bodykits. At first I thought carbon fiber was the way to go but then my balikbayan friend told me na pangit daw ang carbon fiber kasi pag naaskidente ka eh ang daling ma shatter ng carbon fiber whereas when I use ABS Plastic it'll just bend or fold and besides mas cheaper daw pag ABS Plastic. Me, I personally don't like the feel of ABS Plastic kasi ang nipis. What do you guys think? Can you shed some light about ABS Plastic and Carbon Fiber. Which is cheaper, stronger and easier to mold.

    I asked kasi sa A-Toy about my Carbon Fiber SUV and they totalled it from 50k w/o the modified front bumper upto 85k with all the mods of the front and rear bumpers. Eh loko naman itong Goldcars sa Banawe when they asked how much A-Toys was offering the price for the bodykit ayun, pinantayan nila ng 85k. Halatang nanghula lang sa presyo. Ang pakaka-alam nga namin lahat na ang A-Toys ang pinakamahal gumawa ng Carbon Fiber kits pero walang reklamo sa gawa nila dahil ang ayos at polido nila gumawa.

    Anyway, do you guys also know other stores that specialized in bodykits. Can you pls name those stores and perhaps leave their contact number and the person to talk to. Salamat.

  2. Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,704
    #2
    as far as I know, the advantage of carbon fiber is its strength v.s. its light weight. but if you are talking about skirts for an SUV, then i don't think you need the light weight of Carbon fiber.

    fiberglass or ABS plastic if done right and painted properly will not look cheap, from my experience.

  3. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    20
    #3
    maybe what u mean is fiberglass. custom bodykits are made of fiberglass

    carbon fiber are usually used for racing purposes and most are oem like hood. and it costs more expensive.

    price of bodykits for ur car may vary from the design the simpler the cheaper
    Last edited by theveed; June 13th, 2006 at 01:26 PM.

  4. Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3,722
    #4
    Carbon Fiber is a performance material favored in racing cars/trucks to save weight and break away (in small pieces) in an event of a collision.

    It is an expensive material and a collision in our streets is inevitable that's why I find them impractical even if I did have (but don't) the money to blow on a set.

    Try to scout around more, especially the internet (CarDomain.com) because I've seen some fiberglass or composite plastic body work that has the "carbon fiber look" which is a whole lot cheaper than the real thing. Imagine the look on those who bought the real thing when they find out that it practically looks the same as your set yet it only cost you a fraction of the cost!

  5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    3,790
    #5
    I wouldn't go for the carbon fiber na option kasi mahal and kung ibobody color match mo rin...bale wala ang pagiging carbon fiber.

  6. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    389
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    I'm planning to have my SUV installed with some bodykits. At first I thought carbon fiber was the way to go but then my balikbayan friend told me na pangit daw ang carbon fiber kasi pag naaskidente ka eh ang daling ma shatter ng carbon fiber whereas when I use ABS Plastic it'll just bend or fold and besides mas cheaper daw pag ABS Plastic. Me, I personally don't like the feel of ABS Plastic kasi ang nipis. What do you guys think? Can you shed some light about ABS Plastic and Carbon Fiber. Which is cheaper, stronger and easier to mold.

    I asked kasi sa A-Toy about my Carbon Fiber SUV and they totalled it from 50k w/o the modified front bumper upto 85k with all the mods of the front and rear bumpers. Eh loko naman itong Goldcars sa Banawe when they asked how much A-Toys was offering the price for the bodykit ayun, pinantayan nila ng 85k. Halatang nanghula lang sa presyo. Ang pakaka-alam nga namin lahat na ang A-Toys ang pinakamahal gumawa ng Carbon Fiber kits pero walang reklamo sa gawa nila dahil ang ayos at polido nila gumawa.

    Anyway, do you guys also know other stores that specialized in bodykits. Can you pls name those stores and perhaps leave their contact number and the person to talk to. Salamat.
    you're talking about carbon fiber overlayed.

  7. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    154
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Memphis Raines View Post
    Carbon Fiber is a performance material favored in racing cars/trucks to save weight and break away (in small pieces) in an event of a collision.

    It is an expensive material and a collision in our streets is inevitable that's why I find them impractical even if I did have (but don't) the money to blow on a set.

    Try to scout around more, especially the internet (CarDomain.com) because I've seen some fiberglass or composite plastic body work that has the "carbon fiber look" which is a whole lot cheaper than the real thing. Imagine the look on those who bought the real thing when they find out that it practically looks the same as your set yet it only cost you a fraction of the cost!
    Way to dig up an ancient thread. Look at the date of the person asking the question. Think he's still in the market for a body kit?

    BTW, carbon fiber does not break up into little peices. It is hard as hell to break.

  8. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    473
    #8
    keep it stock...

  9. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,848
    #9
    carbon fiber does not break up into little peices. It is hard as hell to break.
    huh?Eh bakit yung mga naka hood na carbon fiber hindi nila binabagsak ang hood nila?Yung kilala ko nga nilalagay niya yung patungan ng hood kapag tinataas niya yung hood niya sa gitna instead dun sa side.

  10. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    389
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by gearspeed View Post
    huh?Eh bakit yung mga naka hood na carbon fiber hindi nila binabagsak ang hood nila?Yung kilala ko nga nilalagay niya yung patungan ng hood kapag tinataas niya yung hood niya sa gitna instead dun sa side.
    fiberglass covered with carbon fiber(overlay).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Bodykit:  ABS Plastic or Carbon Fiber?