New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    What can we use to restore flat black plastic parts on the car? I've noticed that these parts tend to stain and leave this white blemish on it.

With no paint, what can we use for the time being?

2. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Peanut butter oil.

If you have access, get Mother's Back to Black. Or, even better, Forever Black, which is actually a dye. I've heard others use shoe polish sparingly.

As with these kinds of things, test first in an inconspicuous area...

3. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Seriously, peanut butter oil? LOL.

I'll try shoe polish and see. I'm afraid of dyes. My car's blue.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Yep, dead serious. A friend said it only lasted a few months, that was in dry Arizona. Maybe a lot less back there if it rains often. Just make sure you wipe it dry, baka langgamin.

Are you talking about the black trim pieces like right at the bottom edge of the side windows, the weatherstripping, and misc rubber/plastic/vinyl bits? The Honda Civic is notorious for these things, at least from my experience I've seen a lot of these parts go bad first on the car while the rest seems in good shape.

I've used Aerospace 303 and Back to Black. The B2B is best as a temporary fix, while the 303 is best for long term protection. It won't necessarily give immediate effects. Whatever you do, avoid Armor All especially on the dashboard. Silicone based products remove water, making them dry and brittle, eventually cracking them.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Yup the civic. Is B2B a dye or something like tire black? I'm afraid of these dye stuff since my car is blue and when dye comes into contact, BAMN! stain galore.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    AFAIK B2B isn't a dye. It's been a long time since I used it so I don't remember what color it was, but I think it's a clear, thick liquid.

You can get painter's tape (sort of a blue masking tape) to cover off the painted parts so you can focus solely on the trim. Just go easy on it. Fold the towel nicely so you can just dab a pea sized amount or more on the tip of your finger, covered with the towel, then apply. Save some time for this so you don't have to rush, easier too so you can go back to correct mistakes if needed

7. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by JCBalunsat View Post
    Yup the civic. Is B2B a dye or something like tire black? I'm afraid of these dye stuff since my car is blue and when dye comes into contact, BAMN! stain galore.
    Simple solution to that, just mask off the area you don't want the die to come in contact.

Black and Flat Black restoration