New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by donbuggy View Post
    Mbiege's ride made me think of the Mercedes 300D Type W123's 5-cylinder diesel engine and how it could be an excellent engine to put in a retro styled vehicle. Low tech compared to present diesels but robust. I'm not suggesting that a good W123 be cannibalized. I'm saying that a similar engine in the Ssangyong Istana (Mercedes MB100) van can be used.

*Dprox,
    What platform were you planning to base the Urduja on? What does Study nos. 1 to 5 look like?
    Urduja was supposed to be mounted on an AUV platform (Toyota or Mitsu) - scaled down to a 2400 mm wheelbase, since my client was only about 5'3" petite.

Studies #1-5 were just rudimentary versions of Study #6.
    [SIZE="1"]DESIGN is the missing link in the Philippine auto industry.[/SIZE]

2. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by donbuggy View Post
    Mbiege's ride made me think of the Mercedes 300D Type W123's 5-cylinder diesel engine and how it could be an excellent engine to put in a retro styled vehicle. Low tech compared to present diesels but robust. I'm not suggesting that a good W123 be cannibalized. I'm saying that a similar engine in the Ssangyong Istana (Mercedes MB100) van can be used.
    The OM617 family of diesel engines has been used in several swaps already so I heard. Most of it is geared for biodiesel use. I've seen a diesel Mercury Cougar, Ford F-150, heck even a 380SEC converted into diesel!

The OM617 non turbo is more common over there, though.
    Last edited by dprox; April 25th, 2008 at 08:58 AM.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_OM617_engine :

"The OM617 engine family was a straight-5 Diesel automobile engine from Mercedes-Benz used in the 1970s and 1980s. With some Mercedes-Benz 300D/300SD diesels already exceeding 500,000 or 1,000,000 miles, it's considered to be the one of the most reliable engines ever produced."

That's German engineering. Magnificent engine!

4. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    I frequently see owners racking up above 350k miles. We used to own a wagon that had 369k miles, bought it with that mileage, still ran albeit a bit rougher than mine. It could still achieve 75mph on the freeway.

So far I know one who has 600k miles, one with 500k miles and more members with 400k miles - all original engine as far as I know.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dprox View Post
    Urduja was supposed to be mounted on an AUV platform (Toyota or Mitsu) - scaled down to a 2400 mm wheelbase, since my client was only about 5'3" petite.

Studies #1-5 were just rudimentary versions of Study #6.
    A luxury vehicle with a sedan body on a ladder chassis might not go down well with car enthusiasts like the Tsikoteers. And we know how noisy they can be when displeased. However, if said vehicle were to have a retro styling it might be able to get away with having a body on frame.

Perhaps what Urduja needed was a little flamboyance in the styling. And retro touches like a flat V-shaped windshield, prominent fenders and...white side wall tires. ("Black walls, they blend into the pavement.", sabi ni Luigi sa "Cars"). Okay maybe that's a bit too retro.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Rolls Royce Phantom VI Replica