New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by kitsons View Post
    [SIZE=4]Was thinking of the jet and rocket powered speed smashers that got me confused and mixing up between a rocket and jet engine. What I meant was the rocket engine as jet engines do not use hydrogen as fuel nga, mostly kerosene these days when av-gas got to be too expensive during the early '70's oil crisis.[/SIZE]
    AVGAS or Aviation Fuel is actually Jet Kerosene (according to some Pilots in PAF).

My friend a Big Bike Racing enthusiast had a supply of this fuel for free... He once ran out of gasoline money so he used a Bucket into his old VW Bug... the good thing is we had it treated with NewOil already. He wasnt able to mix his fuel with normal Gasoline so his engine was tortured to the max.

He drove it from Imus to Manaoag and Back... of course the engine knocked! - What do you expect?... but he was able to keep the car crawling back to his place without paying unnecessary towing fees - since he was very unliquid that time.

He was hapy with the performance though... He said it was the best times he had with his car that he really enjoyed driving it past beyond 140kph all the time - thats before he overhauled the engine after it.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ehnriko View Post
    AVGAS or Aviation Fuel is actually Jet Kerosene (according to some Pilots in PAF).

My friend a Big Bike Racing enthusiast had a supply of this fuel for free... He once ran out of gasoline money so he used a Bucket into his old VW Bug... the good thing is we had it treated with NewOil already. He wasnt able to mix his fuel with normal Gasoline so his engine was tortured to the max.

He drove it from Imus to Manaoag and Back... of course the engine knocked! - What do you expect?... but he was able to keep the car crawling back to his place without paying unnecessary towing fees - since he was very unliquid that time.

He was hapy with the performance though... He said it was the best times he had with his car that he really enjoyed driving it past beyond 140kph all the time - that's before he overhauled the engine after it.
    [SIZE=4]My father's friend was not so lucky with the use of av-gas... his engine not only knocked but gaskets nearly torn off. That's what happens I guess when you abuse your vehicle.[/SIZE]

3. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ehnriko View Post

The inner headlights of this Citroen DS swiveled when the car is turning so the driver can see where he or she is going at night.

Anybody remember the CHiPs tv series? A Citroen DS was featured there running on three wheels (video below is not in English).

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWiRxHJHNWc"]YouTube- CITROEN DS[/ame]

The DS is also the main character's car in The Mentalist.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    In europe, this car was very popular - the nickname was "The Flat Iron".

When you switch it off, the car goes down, and when you switch it on - it rises up, thanks to it's Air-Ride suspension. Mind you - it's an old car. The French have a flare with highly advanced artistically presented engineering designs.

I had a Renault 2.O once, an 80's model TS - it was the best ride I ever had - much better than a Benz - which I also had once - a 250CE 71 model. Even a Jag is much to bumpy compared to a French Car like Citroens and Renault.

Going back to the point of this thread.

Citroens - along with the Dino Ferrari and the 70's model Fairlady 240Z Datsun where among the first to use a clustered headlamp approach for the cars' eyes.

Utilizing over-the counter lamps - they added a Bezel shaped like so and covered it with protective glass or plastic lenses.

This trend or fashion becamse more popular only after 1996 and later on revived with projector beams and angel eyes with HID beams.

The use of LED also allowed designers to have a wider playing room wihen it comes to the headlamp aspects.

Here's why...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ER5yLjq_dE"]YouTube- HIGH POWERED LED 2 WATT x 3 in series 6 WATTS Efficient Green Lighting[/ame]

LED Technology allows lesser Carbon Footprint for any applications.

While keeping design flexibility.

If you have a little background in electronics.. from the video you will have an idea how easy it is to build a headlamp with such strong candle luminescent power for less than P300.

One LED = P10. x pcs. 22 LED's in Series... a set of Rectifier/ diode... or hook it up directly to an alternator via the TRIAC. hmmm... A 10mm thick acrylic board cut in about 2.5 inch diameter for your lens... and a Short Stainless or Aluminum PIPE about 3 inch long. Glue it all together, solder the connections - Voila! a Super futuristic Projector LED Lamp - on a shoestring budget. :-)

Now who is telling us how far we can go with Designing a really Cool Car?
    Last edited by ehnriko; December 18th, 2009 at 03:57 PM.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by donbuggy View Post
    The inner headlights of this Citroen DS swiveled when the car is turning so the driver can see where he or she is going at night.

Anybody remember the CHiPs tv series? A Citroen DS was featured there running on three wheels (video below is not in English).

YouTube- CITROEN DS

The DS is also the main character's car in The Mentalist.
    Thanks Don for sharing this Chips film strip. Made me laugh.... An Italian speaking American Cop pulling over a Frenchman - having an extremely difficult conversation since both can't understand each other... and along came a cool cop - Erick Estrada who speaks fluent French... classic. :-)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234