New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Hi guys,

Im interested in building my own unit too,

But for registration purposes, what will I put in the Make/Model, etc... do we just put our own name on this? What constitutes a "Make and Model" name?, will the "AMC Hammer" or "FMC Anfra" qualify as its Make and Model... if so what difference does it make for a vehicle to be made by AMC and by a backyard assembler for them to be allowed to use their name as the "Make/Model" or the other to be simply registered as "assembled" (Is it the SEC registration of the company, or what?)

Now, I just came from the Emissions testing center, and there they had the emissions requirements listed...

As for gasoline vehicles:

1) For 1997 and below its HC (hydrocarbon) of 800ppm and CO (carbon monoxide) of 4.5%
    2) for 2003 and above its HC of 600ppm and CO of 3.5%
    3) For rebuilt units its HC is 100ppm and CO of 0.5%

Now I asked the guy who does the testing what "rebuilt" means and he says these are the ones which are assembled in the backyard such as ownertype jeepneys...

Wait! Wait! Wait! If our creations are considered "rebuilt" how the heck are we supposed to pass HC of 100 and CO of 0.5%! Even the brand new cars have only a HC of 600ppm and CO of 3.5% as requirement. My car, which runs on lpg already has a HC of 322ppm and CO of 3.8%... what more for something we make that will probably run on a surplus engine!

------

Now, for electric vehicles, there are no set emission standards for them. An emissions test will be required by the inspector because it is in the law for all types of vehicles... But since there are no set emission standards made for electric vehicles (which probably has 0 emissions), then the electric vehicle might automatically fail the LTO registration.

Many people in government offices use these kinds of loopholes to give us a hard time in progressing...

2. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Hi webmiester.

About registration/ Here's what I remember :

Before my DPROX Chokaran even hit the road, the fabrication shop already applied for its registration.

Aside from your personal information, you will need to supply the LTO with :
    1. Proof of purchase of your engine and chassis - ie, official receipts, engine & chassis numbers.
    2. Proof of fabrication - official receipts for materials you used for the body shell (typically sheetmetal purchases) and photographs of the fabrication.

For one-offs, just leave it up to LTO guys to decide how to fill in the blanks. Your vehicle's "MAKE" will be based on your engine brand. The "SERIES" and "BODY TYPE" will depend on its configuration. One-offs need no "BODY NO.". The "YEAR MODEL" will be the year of your vehicle's Certificate of Registration (aka "C.R.")

I designed Chok in May 2002, started building in November 2002. The official date of registration was 08 July 2003. I brought it out of the shop 15 August 2003 - and have been driving it ever since.

Anyway, regardless of the "MAKE" reflected in the C.R., you are at liberty to stamp your own marks and logos on your vehicle.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kIlz7_lIzw"]YouTube - DPROX Chokaran[/ame]

BUT if you have the capital (like jappy, for instance), you can set up your own car manufacturing company, and then have its name reflected on the C.R.

About emissions tests/ Chok's engine is a surplus 2.7 turbo-diesel and has passed all emissions tests with flying colors. How? I keep it clean and well-calibrated. I also schedule my periodic maintenance/tune-ups just before renewal, and add a bit of coco-based diesel fuel and oil additives one week before for good measure. No cheating.

About electric vehicles/ I'm not there yet. AFAIK, even the e-Jeepney is not registrable, since it has no existing LTO category. PM romski123 - he might know.
    Last edited by dprox; April 21st, 2008 at 10:12 PM.
    [SIZE="1"]DESIGN is the missing link in the Philippine auto industry.[/SIZE]

3. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dprox View Post
    Hi webmiester.

About registration/ Here's what I remember :

Before my DPROX Chokaran even hit the road, the fabrication shop already applied for its registration.

Aside from your personal information, you will need to supply the LTO with :
    1. Proof of purchase of your engine and chassis - ie, official receipts, engine & chassis numbers.
    2. Proof of fabrication - official receipts for materials you used for the body shell (typically sheetmetal purchases) and photographs of the fabrication.
    For one-offs, just leave it up to LTO guys to decide how to fill in the blanks. Your vehicle's "MAKE" will be based on your engine brand. The "SERIES" and "BODY TYPE" will depend on its configuration. One-offs need no "BODY NO.". The "YEAR MODEL" will be the year of your vehicle's Certificate of Registration (aka "C.R.")

I designed Chok in May 2002, started building in November 2002. The official date of registration was 08 July 2003. I brought it out of the shop 15 August 2003 - and have been driving it ever since.

Anyway, regardless of the "MAKE" reflected in the C.R., you are at liberty to stamp your own marks and logos on your vehicle.
    YouTube - DPROX Chokaran

BUT if you have the capital (like jappy, for instance), you can set up your own car manufacturing company, and then have its name reflected on the C.R.

About emissions tests/ Chok's engine is a surplus 2.7 turbo-diesel and has passed all emissions tests with flying colors. How? I keep it clean and well-calibrated. I also schedule my periodic maintenance/tune-ups just before renewal, and add a bit of coco-based diesel fuel and oil additives one week before for good measure. No cheating.

About electric vehicles/ I'm not there yet. AFAIK, even the e-Jeepney is not registrable, since it has no existing LTO category. PM romski123 - he might know.
    bro out of curiosity lang.
    kung sakaling may mag pagawa/mag order sayo exactly "the same unit that you built(DPROX)" magkano presyo?

4. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dbuzz View Post
    bro out of curiosity lang.
    kung sakaling may mag pagawa/mag order sayo exactly "the same unit that you built(DPROX)" magkano presyo?
    dbuzz, check your PM. No sales talk here. Delicadeza.
    [SIZE="1"]DESIGN is the missing link in the Philippine auto industry.[/SIZE]

How to register your creation