New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Thieves Can Steal Modern Cars By Tapping Into a Headlight Wire

CAN Injection: keyless car theft | Dr. Ken Tindell

Using CAN bus for everything is now leading to CAN injection attacks where thieves can get into a car just by jacking into a headlight plug, or more recently with bluetooth speakers that inject data into the CAN bus.

Not to be a luddite, but I've always thought that CAN should end at a relay and the cables going to the actual extremities of a car should be "dumb". And I've never liked the forced integration of car features with the infotainment. IMO have a dedicated function screen and give me a standard 2DIN.
    Last edited by Dr.Kamiya; April 7th, 2023 at 04:47 PM.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2007

3. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    car thieves study harder only on one thing and mechanics are hesitant to learn technology. regardless how complex your car is, somebody is burning midnight candle to learn how to steal it

4. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Mas safer pa ata lagyan ng steering wheel immobilizer or park your car in a garage with a door...

5. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Kamiya View Post
    Thieves Can Steal Modern Cars By Tapping Into a Headlight Wire

CAN Injection: keyless car theft | Dr. Ken Tindell

Using CAN bus for everything is now leading to CAN injection attacks where thieves can get into a car just by jacking into a headlight plug, or more recently with bluetooth speakers that inject data into the CAN bus.

Not to be a luddite, but I've always thought that CAN should end at a relay and the cables going to the actual extremities of a car should be "dumb". And I've never liked the forced integration of car features with the infotainment. IMO have a dedicated function screen and give me a standard 2DIN.
    Agree here.. AC controls in the infotainment sucks.. better to have physical buttons and knobs.. hehe cant upgrade your audio system to more mainstream like alpine, kenwood, pioneer.. if your system sounds mediocre.. your stuck with it

Yes, lights are connected to the CAN so the system can send warning if one bulb is faulty

6. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by yapoy86 View Post
    Agree here.. AC controls in the infotainment sucks.. better to have physical buttons and knobs.. hehe cant upgrade your audio system to more mainstream like alpine, kenwood, pioneer.. if your system sounds mediocre.. your stuck with it

Yes, lights are connected to the CAN so the system can send warning if one bulb is faulty
    There are model-specific Android units that incorporate factory controls. Joying, T'eyes, Atoto are some of those brands.

Sent from my SM-S901E using Tsikot Forums mobile app