New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    just keep the comments clean midinite... hehehe... :-)

2. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    So my question remains...is BMW still competing with diesel? Who is doing it consistently?

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by mazdamazda
    Meron po...

http://www.hdtusa.com/

They are currently producing diesel motorcycles for the US Military... no commercial models yet because: "Due to increased production requirements for our military motorcycles, HDTUSA has had to delay production of our commerical models."

Meron pang isa:

http://www.dieselmotorcycle.co.uk/

Pero Oct 2006 pa ang start of ordering...

naalala ko na.... meron nga...napanood ko pa yan sa discovery channel....kaya lang eh quadbike yata yon.....

tnx for the head-up M2...herherherher...

malamang eh talunin nyan ang Harley D. pagdating sa ingay ng tambutso....hehehehe di pa nire-rev eh maingay na....hahahaha..

but I'd like Harley's exhaust sound.....parang sumisigaw na...'HOY TABI KAYO DYAN AT DADAAN AKO'...... hehehehe

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    midinite: Competing in what way? If their customer base isn't interested with diesel variants, it'll be a dumb business move to invest too much in it.

Especially in this day and age where you can purchase rights to use another manufactuer's engine and customize it to fit your own needs, that's a more logical solution.

Kinda like wondering if Toyota will ever invest in creating motorcycles to compete with Honda... Just because the someone's are doing it, doesn't mean you have to follow.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    could it be because honda was involved in motorcycles from way back and progressed to cars? bmw also was in motorbikes? are they still in aviation? Isn't their logo a propeller or were they stopped after the war?

6. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    just keep the comments clean midinite... hehehe... :-)
    Am learning...this is my first foray into the forum thing...now would innuendos count?

7. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by midinite
    Isn't their logo a propeller or were they stopped after the war?
    From wikipedia:

The blue-and-white roundel BMW still uses alludes to the blue and white checkered flag of Bavaria and also indicates the origin of BMW by symbolizing a spinning white propeller on a blue-sky background.

8. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    So my question remains...is BMW still competing with diesel? Who is doing it consistently?
    Please read again...

BMW has also been making strides by topping the Diesel Class of the past two Dakar Rally (using an X5) and by finishing 2nd (AFAIK) behind the gas powered Pajeros (and outpacing VW's Touareg V10 TDi).
    BMW bashing isn't a good way to win people over to your side.
    Last edited by Monseratto; June 23rd, 2006 at 08:40 PM.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Thanks Mr Pink and Rion,
    Yes, for a long time no one thought all-wheel drive was possible for passenger cars but Audi didn't listen and invented quattro in the 80s...and won almost every Rally there was...Now it is a commonplace sight...That's why they did this with diesel. Honestly, who would consider it here for cars among the car glitterati...diba we associate it with jeepneys...but that is what their "vorsprung" philosophy is all about...to push the envelope. And to tell you honestly, that is why I am a fan of theirs...they put their money where there mouth is...BMW and Mercs for me are dying...they are merely badges...with no balls.
    my friends always under estimate diesel. to them High RPM sounds means they are fast, they think...

Maybe soon Local manufacturers will be selling diesel passenger cars like Toyota Avensis Diesel.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Well, BMW is competing with diesels in the Paris Dakar (held only once a year, true, but with 7000km over grueling terrain, it's a terribly savage workout for vehicles) and in the marketplace with diesel powered sports sedans.

All three, Mercedes, Audi and BMW have been making diesel engines for quite a while (the old Merc 300D turbodiesel is still one of the best diesels I've ever ridden), but the current horsepower race really heated up when BMW released its 3 liter turbodiesel, which, in its highest state of tune, hits 270+ hp already. Mercedes and Audi have escalated the arms race, though, and Audi-VAG currently has one of the most powerful diesel engines in production, the one in the Touareg.

Of course, that's not considering the stateside-only Powerdiesels and Cummins engines, which put out over 300hp and a massive amount of torque. But those things aren't nearly as revvy or "gas-like" as current Germans or even Korean and Japanese direct injection models and get their power from massive displacement. You ought to see them at the drag strip or on a dyno... all you'll ever see when one takes off is a massive black cloud of smoke.

And it's a mistake to think BMW doesn't compete in the diesel market. They offer more diesel models here than either MB or Audi. Including the wonderfully ironic 530d. Having driven alongside one on the road, I can attest to the fact that it's smooth, quiet and fast.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Audi R10 Diesel Race Car Wins Lemans. New Era In Racing?