New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jan 2014
    I have Mazda3 2010, 2.0 model. What will happen if the aircon compressor belt on Mazda3 is removed? Can the car run without problems? I did some research but looks like iba't ibang designs yung cars.
    My concern really is what if I'm out of town and then the belt breaks. The compressor belt is hard to find. I live outside Manila by the way.

Thanks.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Depends on the belt configuration. Not familiar with Mazdas but if it uses a dedicated belt for the A/C compressor, removing it should still make the vehicle fully functional... it's just going to be a sweaty drive.

If it uses a sepentine belt, if you lose it, the vehicle is effectively immobilized. Force it to run and extensive damage can occur.

The serpentine belt is a single long belt that drives pretty much everything, from the A/C compressor, the alternator, water pump, and hydraulic power steering (if not EPS).

Drive belts are very robust and should not break easily under normal circumstances unless it's still being used past its designated period of replacement. Like a lot of things, the belt is a wear & tear part that needs to be replaced at an interval usually indicated in the owners' manual.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post

Drive belts are very robust and should not break easily under normal circumstances unless it's still being used past its designated period of replacement. Like a lot of things, the belt is a wear & tear part that needs to be replaced at an interval usually indicated in the owners' manual.
    general guide for any rubber machine part is replace evey 5 years for normal use, a bit longer if regularly maintained with belt dressing, and 3 years or shorter for high mileage vehicles.

serpentine belt din yata ang mazda so di pwede na alisin yan. why do you want to remove the belt? if it is just to disable the ac then either just remove the fuse or disconnect the solenoid clutch.

edit: 7 years old na pala. time for a replacement na din.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2014
    My Mazda3 2010 has two belts and it's like this:

http://mazda3carpet.com/wp-content/uploads/belt.gif

This post has more pictures:
    How To mazda 3 2.3 Belt install - Mazda3Club.com : The Original Mazda3 Forum

Thanks sa info.

Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    Depends on the belt configuration. Not familiar with Mazdas but if it uses a dedicated belt for the A/C compressor, removing it should still make the vehicle fully functional... it's just going to be a sweaty drive.

If it uses a sepentine belt, if you lose it, the vehicle is effectively immobilized. Force it to run and extensive damage can occur.

The serpentine belt is a single long belt that drives pretty much everything, from the A/C compressor, the alternator, water pump, and hydraulic power steering (if not EPS).

5. Join Date
    Jan 2014
    It's not that I want to remove but I'm going to bring the car sa province. No need AC naman there (just a small town) and the car has sunroof.
    Yung worry ko lang is if ma putol yung AC belt tapos I won't be able to replace the belt right away.

Parang ganito yung layout nya (link below). Ok lng ba?

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by yebo View Post
    general guide for any rubber machine part is replace evey 5 years for normal use, a bit longer if regularly maintained with belt dressing, and 3 years or shorter for high mileage vehicles.

serpentine belt din yata ang mazda so di pwede na alisin yan. why do you want to remove the belt? if it is just to disable the ac then either just remove the fuse or disconnect the solenoid clutch.

edit: 7 years old na pala. time for a replacement na din.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bboyukoy View Post
    I have Mazda3 2010, 2.0 model. What will happen if the aircon compressor belt on Mazda3 is removed? Can the car run without problems? I did some research but looks like iba't ibang designs yung cars.
    My concern really is what if I'm out of town and then the belt breaks. The compressor belt is hard to find. I live outside Manila by the way.

Thanks.
    most cars have one or two fanbelt systems. in most cars, the alternator is an important part of the engine's fanbelt system. removing the alternator makes that belt system useless.
    find out if your car's fanbelt powers anything else besides the alternator, because that is what you will also lose.
    if your car has only one fanbelt, it's probably a serpentine system. in that case, removing the alternator will make the engine un-useable.

mag-stock up ka na lang ng extra fanbelts.
    Last edited by dr. d; September 27th, 2017 at 04:13 AM.

7. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    It's not that I want to remove but I'm going to bring the car sa province. No need AC naman there (just a small town) and the car has sunroof.
    Yung worry ko lang is if ma putol yung AC belt tapos I won't be able to replace the belt right away.
    If this is the case, why not have the belt replaced before the trip and then bring the old belt as spare. Should give you the peace of mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Join Date
    Jan 2009

Parang ganito yung layout nya (link below). Ok lng ba?

Thank you.
    I don't mean this to sound rude but, of all the million things that can potentially go wrong in your vehicle, why fixate on the A/C drive belt?

If you question the belt's reliability due to its age, it's prudent upon you to have it looked into before your long trip. It's true what I said that losing the A/C in the middle of a trip will still allow your vehicle to continue running. At the least, you and your passengers may be uncomfortably hot during the day, it's still something that can be tolerated. But what if it rains? You will have to drive with all the windows closed and when that happens, your windshield begins to fog up. Under these circumstances, it's no longer a comfort issue, rather, a safety one.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by rmolivar View Post
    If this is the case, why not have the belt replaced before the trip and then bring the old belt as spare. Should give you the peace of mind.
    Best suggestion!

Huwag na magpatumpik-tumpik pa.