New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    I would just like to ask how to clean the radiAtor the right way. Should i use radiator flush agents or not? If yes, what brand is good?

I opened the radiator cap and its water is full of rust. As in kulay orange pag binuksan mo. Pati yung tubig sa reservoir tank ganun din. Tap water lang kasi ang ginagamit. I know its a no no. Kaso yung kotse ay hindi akin. Now, i want to help out to do it the right way.

Car is a galant 1991. Its a 2.0liter carburetor engine.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    use a radiator flush. i think shell has one.
    tapos kargahan mo na ng coolant.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2011

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    lavramon. sa mga goodyear servitek gumagawa niyan.

tatanggalin nila ung thermostat then mag cycle ng tubig hanggang luminis. gumagamit din ng radiator flush don sa huling cycle ata.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    If you have to DIY:

1. Drain the radiator, make sure you put have it drain into a container and don't have your coolant thrown about. Those can be toxic to pets and most living things.

2. Fill with radiator flush. Run from 15-30 minutes.

3. Turn off engine and remove inlet hose and check the mesh for debris.

4. Remove debris.

5. Replace inlet hose with mesh and run the engine again.

6. Repeat steps 3-5 depending on how much debris your mesh is trapping.

7. Turn off engine and drain the coolant flush (again into a container) and fill with water. Run engine for 5-10 minutes.

8. Drain.

9. Refill with coolant water mixture 50/50 or pre-mix.

10. Check for leaks on the hoses, sensor fittings, drain plug, and radiator cap.

If all else is in place you'd be good to go.

You may want to leave that mesh in place for a few days, there are times trapped debris will find its way there. But do not forget to remove it after 2-3 days lest it clogs and blows your hose out.

Remember: always make sure the engine is cool enough before you drain so as to avoid scalding.

Also, make sure you use clean tap water, not well water, not river water, not rain water. If you need a placebo, use distilled water.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Thanks for the reply guys. I've come to search about lavramon. Do this by any chance available up here in pampanga? Do anyone knows if there's a shop that offers this service?

Thanks for the diy step. If lavramon is not available here then diy is my next option.

What is the Proper way of cleaning/flushing the radiator?