New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Hi guys,

I noticed that one of my belts are squealing intermittently during cold starts. It lasts around a minute or so. I concluded

that it's triggered by the aircon because once I switched it off, the squealing sound is gone. Any inputs as to what might

be the cause of this? This happens most likely after raining, but not everytime it rains. I'm not sure if that's just a

coincidence?

2. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by r1chm0nd View Post
    Hi guys,

I noticed that one of my belts are squealing intermittently during cold starts. It lasts around a minute or so. I concluded

that it's triggered by the aircon because once I switched it off, the squealing sound is gone. Any inputs as to what might

be the cause of this? This happens most likely after raining, but not everytime it rains. I'm not sure if that's just a

coincidence?

sounds more like a loose belt. but if the belt is at least 4 years old, the drive surfaces are not gummy anymore and will tend to slip and slide. gates, the world's leading belts and hoses manufacturer recommends you replace your belts regardless how they look like.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The compressor or a tensioning pulley might need servicing/replacing. Or some tension adjustment on the belt.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    I just replaced my aircon belt along with timing belt and alternator belt a few months ago. Around May to be exact.

How much would a tensioner pulley or compressor pulley cost?

5. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    are you using multiribbed belt or the regular v-belt? if your pulleys are multi grooved, check for foreign objects embedded in the pulley grooves preventing the belt from seating properly. these grooves can be cleaned with a pick

6. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jick.cejoco View Post
    are you using multiribbed belt or the regular v-belt? if your pulleys are multi grooved, check for foreign objects embedded in the pulley grooves preventing the belt from seating properly. these grooves can be cleaned with a pick
    Can I do this on my own? I think I have to open the valve cover so I can have access to the belts am i right?

7. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Can I do this on my own? I think I have to open the valve cover so I can have access to the belts am i right?
    you were talking about the accessory belts. these are: drive-crankshaft pulley, compressor pulley and the tensioner/idler pulley(which hardly cause the squeal unless the bearing is shot). all these pulleys are accessible after removing tire number two and removing thee fairing from behind the tire

8. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    boss ganto gawin mo pag cold start at umingay ay buhusan mo ng tubig..pag nawala ang ingay kailangan mo lang higpitan belt..check mo rin kung meron mga crack ang belt..pero kung umiingay pa rin pa ckeck mo sa pro..kami un..

Squealing Aircon Belt during Cold Start