New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    my radiator cracked due to a faulty thermostat valve.

tinanggal na lang ng mechanic at hindi na pinalitan.

so far, same pa rin yung normal running temperature ko based on my gauge.

since we live in a tropical country, do i still need replace it?

thanks

2. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Yes. Why, because running without a thermostat means that you are running your engine cold every time you start it much longer than with a thermostat that closes and opens whenever your engine reaches its optimal temperature. In short, your engine would take a longer time to reach its optimal temperature. Better replace it bro, mura lang naman.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    weird thing is mas mabili sya uminit to optimal temperature ngayon. or is that due to the faulty thermostat before? or maybe dahil summer ngayon?

Quote Originally Posted by mazingerZ View Post
    Yes. Why, because running without a thermostat means that you are running your engine cold every time you start it much longer than with a thermostat that closes and opens whenever your engine reaches its optimal temperature. In short, your engine would take a longer time to reach its optimal temperature. Better replace it bro, mura lang naman.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Yes, it is required to replace it for economical/ efficiency reasons.

However, whats the connection between the Radiator failure and the thermostat. I guess this is also one of the urban legends which must be busted.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by daimaoh View Post
    weird thing is mas mabili sya uminit to optimal temperature ngayon. or is that due to the faulty thermostat before? or maybe dahil summer ngayon?
    Most probably, you need to get teh radiator cleaned...assuming there is no change in the coolant level.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Yup, tama si sir dont, baka barado ang radiator mo. With regards to radiator failure, I dont see any connection relating to the thermostat. Ang scenario kasi kung meron kang thermostat is that closed siya during initial startup, meron nang water sa loob ng water jackets ng engine mo, naturally iinit yung nasa water jackets, which causes the thermostat to open (gurus correct me if im wrong is it 110 degrees celcius?), then circulation of water will happen. Tama ba? Baka lalo ka lang nalito hehehe

7. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    mabilis mag-init? check your water pump and the radiator itself.... ilang years na po ba? you have the choice: replace it or have it overhauled then finally replace your thermostat- importante yun....on the part of the mech - madali kasing mag-alis kesa maghanap.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    We have a REAALLLLLLLYY long thread about this. Search for "great thermostat debate" title.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    not sure why the top of the radiator cracked. thought it was due to the closed thermostat. temp gauge went over the red line. kaka-overhaul lang ng radiator a few months ago. tumagas yung hose sa likod ng engine.

now, the top is replaced with a fabricated one after another overhaul. still no thermostat any everything still seems normal.

i'll probably replace the thermostat... just to be sure.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DonT View Post
    Yes, it is required to replace it for economical/ efficiency reasons.

However, whats the connection between the Radiator failure and the thermostat. I guess this is also one of the urban legends which must be busted.

10. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    The plastic top cracked bec the plastic is like a fuse for your radiator. Its designed to give incase of overheat to protect your head gasket.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Running without a thermostat valve