New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by wickednasty View Post
    i observed the radiator fan last night, car wasn't used the whole day, and here's what happened:

- turned on the engine, then turned on the air condition system,and waited until the gauge reaches the normal operating temp.

- approx 15 minutes after the engine reached its normal operating temp, the radiator fan turned on for a duration of 15 secs then shuts off.

-radiator fan turned on again after an interval of 2-3 minutes, and again spins for exactly 15 seconds.

-timed the next interval, and after about 4 minutes, the radiator fan started spinning again....

so mga sir, is it safe to say that my radiator fan is functioning normally, or should i still go and have it replaced? based nman sa speed ng ikot nung fan, same speed naman sila nung fan para sa condenser.
    During this whole exercise, how high did your temp go?

I probably wouldn't trust myself to judge whether a fan is spinning appropriately just by looking at it. That's just me though, if you're pretty sure, I won't argue with you.

A further test you can do is measure the airflow. Two fans can operate at the same speed but draw different amounts of air.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    overheating na yan if i were you , i'm going to get it checked by a qualified tech immediately

3. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Mga Sir I just want to ask. When is the supposed time the auxilliary fan start to work, is it after the engine reaches its normal temp (nasa gitna yung gauge) or is it above the the engine normal temp? In my case kasi yung aux fan ko pansin ko iikot lang sya pag lumampas yung gauge ko sa gitna titigil na lang sya after bumalik uli sa gitna yung. Kaya naalarma na ko lalo na sa traffic kasi lumalampas sa gitna yung gauge ko. TIA.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Newbie1 View Post
    Mga Sir I just want to ask. When is the supposed time the auxilliary fan start to work, is it after the engine reaches its normal temp (nasa gitna yung gauge) or is it above the the engine normal temp? In my case kasi yung aux fan ko pansin ko iikot lang sya pag lumampas yung gauge ko sa gitna titigil na lang sya after bumalik uli sa gitna yung. Kaya naalarma na ko lalo na sa traffic kasi lumalampas sa gitna yung gauge ko. TIA.

newbie,
    most asian cars if not all has the thermostat calibrated to start opening at 88 degrees celsius and the radiator fan to start running at an average of 220 degrees (convert to metric) degrees fahrenheit. please don't confuse the pressurized cooling system running 13 psi pressure and antifreeze/coolant with the boiling point of water at atmospheric pressure or 1 bar. it is like comparing apples from oranges, they are totally different materials. which part of overcooling or which part of overheating don't you understand? the normal range for most, say again, most asian cars on the gauge of a normally running engine is between 60 to 80 percent of the gauge scale. again 60 to 80 percent of the temperature gauge scale. as long as it is not on the red hot zone. wakarimasu ka?
    jick
    a.s.e. certified master automobile technician
    a.s.e. certified master heavy duty truck technician
    international automotive technicians' network

5. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jick.cejoco View Post
    newbie,
    most asian cars if not all has the thermostat calibrated to start opening at 88 degrees celsius and the radiator fan to start running at an average of 220 degrees (convert to metric) degrees fahrenheit. please don't confuse the pressurized cooling system running 13 psi pressure and antifreeze/coolant with the boiling point of water at atmospheric pressure or 1 bar. it is like comparing apples from oranges, they are totally different materials. which part of overcooling or which part of overheating don't you understand? the normal range for most, say again, most asian cars on the gauge of a normally running engine is between 60 to 80 percent of the gauge scale. again 60 to 80 percent of the temperature gauge scale. as long as it is not on the red hot zone. wakarimasu ka?
    jick
    a.s.e. certified master automobile technician
    a.s.e. certified master heavy duty truck technician
    international automotive technicians' network

*jick.cejoco,

soo desu ka? Hai, wakarimasen.
    Thanks for that concise explanation. So it is normal and I should not worry that the pointer on my temperature gauge points just above the halfway mark, as long as it does not reach the red line.

6. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Newbie1 View Post
    *jick.cejoco,

soo desu ka? Hai, wakarimasen.
    Thanks for that concise explanation. So it is normal and I should not worry that the pointer on my temperature gauge points just above the halfway mark, as long as it does not reach the red line.

newbie,
    that is absolutely right. your instrument cluster is idiot proof. unless it is inoperative (INOP) or is flat broken. you burn fuel to get heat as a product, the heat of combustion propels your car. it is idiotic to quench the necessary heat to move your car, as long as it it not beyond the normal range of an automobile engine.
    jick
    guam community college

7. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    change your water pump sir, happened to my mazda 323. temperature goes up during idle or in traffic but goes down whenever the traffic moves. I changed the auxillary fan (motor and blades) temperature still goes up.i decided to change the water pump, no overheat till now (1 year).

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Rising temp during idle