New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Dec 2008
    hi mga sirs,

yesterday i had the radiator of my mitsubishi eclipse 99, 4g63engine OVERHAULED, i think hindi yata na-flush (based on a thread i just read here) let me describe what happened, first tinanggal yung radiator, nilinis siya via water pressured hose both from outside and within, then tinusok-tusok yung mga holes or pipes para matanggal yung residue, then it was tested for leaks, wala naman. after that kinabit na po ulit yung radiator, i had neither extra coolant nor money to buy coolant at the time so TUBIG lang nilagay namin. NGAYON eto po nangyari, i started the engine, we deliberately left the RADIATOR CAP OFF para makita kung umiikot yung coolant etc.

then ang ginagawa ko po, based on past experience ni-rev ko yung makina to see kung bumubulwak. apparently ang nangyari, NAG BUBBLE and FROTH (like cream) yung opening ng radiator. I began to worry, so i checked the TEMP, ok naman below middle pa, I asked the radiator guy kung ano ibig sabihin noon, una sabi niya ewan, then sinabi niya na nag rereact daw yung naiwang coolant sa loob ng engine sa water na nilalagay namin. after 20 mins of IDLING, and pouring water, nawala din naman yung FROTH, then nagcomment yung isang guy, na bumukas na daw yung "thermostat" again, normal parameters pa yung temp. i grew disconcerted, so after driving for a while and parking for 2hrs, i went and tested it again, i removed the radiator cap and revved the engine, thankfully wala naman yung froth. and the temp is normal.

thanks sirs!

2. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Since the coolant was drained, air got into the system. When you filled it up again and started the engine, the water pump, by mere function, pushed out the air bubbles and basically bled the system for you. And since the radiator fill cap is the highest point, the trapped air will go there.

What I will recommend though is that you replace the tap water with quality coolant designed for your car. OEM coolant works best. Tap water will cause scaling and corrosion, even if you replace it frequently.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    the frothing of coolant or water is normal after the cooling system had been opened. this is called cavitation by the water pump. that is one of the reasons why the cooling system is pressurized aside from raising the boiling point of coolant under pressure. similar to your pressure cooker, the temperature is higher inside and the boiling water inside does not create bubbles because of the pressure suppressing the bubbling

4. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    may nilalagay kasi silang chemical sa radiator kapag nililinis nila ..

malang un un ..ako din kapapalinis ko lang ng radiator ko sa sobrang init,,tumataas ang temp ng vti ko
    after na malinis at nadiscover 7 butas na pala ang barado sa radiator ko..

kaya advice ng nag lilinis ay every 6months daw palinis..

parang teeth lang )

5. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    ganyan din nangyayari sa honda city ng tatay ko.
    lumalampas na sa halfway yung temperature, pero ngayon lang summer nangyari ito.

minsan naglakas loob akong buksan yung radiator, normal ba yung pag inapakan mo yung gas pedal (w/ the radiator cap removed) yung tubig sa radiator nabulwak?

6. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jaypee10 View Post
    kaya advice ng nag lilinis ay every 6months daw palinis..

parang teeth lang )
    That's ridiculous. You don't even need to flush the coolant fluid that often, much less a radiator cleaning every six months! Don't believe that guy.

It is imperative to use the correct coolant for your car. Corrosion, scaling and eventually, overheating, can be all attributed to using the wrong coolant or worse, tap water.

radiator overhauling - has this happened to you?