New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Dear fellow tsikoteers - I need your thoughts.

I drive from manila/pampanga to baguio atleast twice a month for the past three years and didn't experience any cooling related problems not until recently. Minsan longer drives pa during holidays, oftenly loaded with 4 to 7 adults including myself.

During my last trip, I noticed my temp exeeding half up to the 3/4 mark. I experience this until now regardless of either uphill or patag after driving for 3+ hours.

Visually checking, laging napupuno yung overflow container at meron traces of water being spilled out from it. Should be normal kasi yun nga ang purpose ng overflow container when internal pressure exceeds its threshold thru the pressure relief valve ng radiator cap. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The problem is that water is not being sucked back to the radiator as water cools down (as water contracts) when slowing down or even when leaving the car parked overnight.

Most recent action I did was to replace the radiator cap with a new one. Federal Mogul yung brand and pressure rating is according to spec (0.9) but problem persisted.

Ride is a 3.1L 4JG2 TDIC Trooper that is religiously maintained. Been using plain distilled water with no coolant eversince and I drain and replace this once to twice a year or soon as I see traces of kalawang.

Any thoughts what could be the problem? What could I have missed maintenance-wise?

2. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    you should also check your water pump & your thermostat bro. maybe there lies the problem if they're already busted
    Last edited by baludoy; March 5th, 2009 at 10:42 PM.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Coolant helps prevent the rust formation. If you've been using plain water, it's a good bet that your thermostat is stuck.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Could it be that there is a small leak or hole along the hose from the radiator to the overflow containter? If so, it would be like sucking water through a straw with a hole in its side.

5. Join Date
    May 2007
    A bad radiator cap will cause one to do this,it lets too much of the coolant pass by the cap,and runs the over flow jug over on it. Since replace that already check the thermostat also this may be going bad.

When was the last time you change the coolant? You might as well drain your old coolant for possible contaminant. When draining your radiator you can refill with water, start engine, recirculate the water by turning your heather, drain again. Do this for several times till water are all clear. Then refill with 50/50 coolant and distilled water.

On your reservoir DO NOT overfill. There is a coolant level mark on the plastic, if none, leave at least 1/4. Again donot overfill.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Hello baludoy, niky, zman and v6dreamer. It was a long weekend for me so I just read your responses. I greatly appreciate them. Long din yung response post ko so please bear with me. sensya na.

Travelled a total of 180+ kms over the weekend and ended up refilling around 800ml of water on the rad when I reached my destination same as when I got back home. Container overflowed again and few very light brown water marks sprinkled on my windshield and bumper. Mukhang galing sa overflow container kasi medyo ganun din kulay ng tubig sa loob ng container. I also have to spill away excess water from the overflow container para nasa full level lang sya. Steady lang naman sa 1/2 yung gauge kasi siguro dahil walang uphil. I just drained and refilled my rad a month ago. Kelangan ko na ata pa overhaul ang rad ...

sarap sana laging mag byahe kasi 21.50 nalang diesel kaso my cooling system is faulty.

I have checked the surrounding objects of the water pump but didn't see any leakages. Water is normally circulating and no foul smell even after a long drive. Fan is also ok.

Checked the small hose connecting the rad to the overflow container for possible micro holes but none.

Wala akong thermostat since then pero dati meron about 3-4 years ago. Not sure pero do you think we would be able to get to the root of this assuming the thermostat will resove the problem?

I am considering using a coolant after I spot the problem. I saw a 50/50 pre dilluted from prestone. Ok ba eto for diesel? and sabi sa intructions is no need to add water ... what if I do? Meron din concentrated from the same brand. which do you suggest?

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    di naman kaya barado yung radiator mo? so hindi nakakacirculate ng maigi yung coolant or water? ang effect nya is bumabalik sya sa reservoir, kaya parating puno yun.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    wham, your right on the spot. the brownish water stains is a sign of rust in the the radiator. go and give an overhauling. i suggest you bring back the thermostat. that will help to warm up your engine faster and bring it to optimum running condition coming from a long engine rest.

once the over haul is done, additive coolant will also be a great help.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    1D4LV and macsd, Sirs, thanks for the response. Will go for the overhaul and will post the results after another long drive this coming weekend.

10. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Just had my radiator overhauled last saturday. Yung ibang fins barado nga ng kalawang at kung ano pang particles yun. After the cleaning, binalik yung top, hininang and chineck for tagas. Then tapped it with 80% disltilled water + 20% coolant. Sabi ok pa naman water pump kasi kitang kita naman na nag cicirculate and coolant at walang leak. So I went for another long drive.

After driving for about 60kms to subic via sctex, sakto doon sa toll gate, pansin ko lumampas sa 1/2 yung temp up to 3/4, so i drove until I reached a safe place to pull over. Nung chineck ko yung radiator, nawalan ulit ng tubig! so I have to tap it with about 800ml of water. Same case when I drove back home, nawalan din ng water yung Radiator for about 500-800ml at napupuno lang yung overflow container at hindi bumabalik. I normally cruise at 80-100kph.

When I used the vehicle yesterday (Sunday) for about 2-3 hours of city driving (stop-and-go, traffic under the heat of the sun, quick accelerations, and speed not over 60kph), pansin ko hindi naman nag babawas. I'm quite puzzled at this point.

other observations:
    -no traces of leaks when parked overnight
    -no traces of leaks on the hoses
    -in less than 2 minutes, temp easily rises to 1/2 mark when at idle during traffics.

Mirco hole on the radiator? Any other possibilities?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Radiator overflow container not returning water