New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    How do you find a pin hole leak? I suspect that this is my car's problem as I have been losing about a liter of coolant a month without obvious signs of coolant leaks.

Can you recommend a shop that can do a radiator pressure test?

2. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by userfriendly View Post
    How do you find a pin hole leak? I suspect that this is my car's problem as I have been losing about a liter of coolant a month without obvious signs of coolant leaks.

Can you recommend a shop that can do a radiator pressure test?

if this be an external leak and you don't find telltale signs, you can use luminous dye additive to the antifreeze/coolant and look at the possible areas with u.v. light or black light. it will glow like a mother. the antifreeze/coolant had been added this but is in small quantity.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Coolant may be leaking past the head gasket and into the combustion chamber. Do you see white smoke from the exhaust? Then again, the leak had to be a bit more significant for it to show itself through the exhaust.

What car make and model?
    What coolant additive do you use? What ratio?
    Is the radiator cap pressure valve still within spec?

In reality, we do lose coolant from evaporation. But like you, I also think that 1 liter/month is a bit on the high side.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jick.cejoco View Post
    if this be an external leak and you don't find telltale signs, you can use luminous dye additive to the antifreeze/coolant and look at the possible areas with u.v. light or black light. it will glow like a mother. the antifreeze/coolant had been added this but is in small quantity.

Can you specify the name of the dye and where I can buy it? How much kaya?

Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    Coolant may be leaking past the head gasket and into the combustion chamber. Do you see white smoke from the exhaust? Then again, the leak had to be a bit more significant for it to show itself through the exhaust.

What car make and model?
    What coolant additive do you use? What ratio?
    Is the radiator cap pressure valve still within spec?

In reality, we do lose coolant from evaporation. But like you, I also think that 1 liter/month is a bit on the high side.
    I hope its not the head gasket. So far no white smoke, no overheating, no signs of oil in the coolant and vice cersa. Although the car does heat up, during uphill climbs. Turning on the heater cools it dows quickly. From this, I gather that the t-stat, water pump and fans are ok. Radiator was Lavramoned last April 2008, about 20,000 kms ago. So the radiator should still be clean.

Car is a 2002 Chevy Venture. 100,600 kms.
    Coolant is 50/50 petron green coolant and distilled water.
    Replaced the radiator cap last April 2007, milage then was 70,090 kms.

Just remembered that during the Lavramon, the technician said that the radiator drain plug looks worn. Have to check it.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by userfriendly View Post
    Can you specify the name of the dye and where I can buy it? How much kaya?

I hope its not the head gasket. So far no white smoke, no overheating, no signs of oil in the coolant and vice cersa. Although the car does heat up, during uphill climbs. Turning on the heater cools it dows quickly. From this, I gather that the t-stat, water pump and fans are ok. Radiator was Lavramoned last April 2008, about 20,000 kms ago. So the radiator should still be clean.

Car is a 2002 Chevy Venture. 100,600 kms.
    Coolant is 50/50 petron green coolant and distilled water.
    Replaced the radiator cap last April 2007, milage then was 70,090 kms.

Just remembered that during the Lavramon, the technician said that the radiator drain plug looks worn. Have to check it.

the name of the dye leak detection system is tracerline made by tracer products co. as far as availability in r.p., i am not certain if some company uses this.

pin hole leak