New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by g_spott79 View Post
    Thank You mga Boss sa reply.. much appreciated po.. Update ko lng po kayo: been using the Exped for short trips lng sa Mall or to UST, 14 km drive po the most just to check how much Coolant (water na ngyn, for testing purposes halos every gamit kasi lagay tubig) is being lost.. on cold days, especially mornings, konti lng leak or wala if ilang kilometro lng layo ng takbo.. halos o mahigit nmn isang litro nawawala on hot days.. refill lng muna ako with water.. Tested the Exped again yesterday, noticed tumaas temp gauge halfway between middle and redline, not on traffic (highway speeds) and while AC is on.. slowed down a bit and turned off AC.. temp went down.. checkd the coolant level, di namn nauubos.... So got a new Expansion Tank Cap Kanina * Ford, php 785.. 3 days bago dumating.. Tested it kanina, from bahay to UST 7 kms.. NO LEAKS!! ayus!.. but short lived..pauwi from ust no highway speeds po and AC on tumaas na nmn temp gauge, midway from middle and redline.. slowed down and turned AC off, bumaba temp.. pagdating bhay, NO Leaks, coolant level same.. Mukhang OK na prob ko sa Overspilling (for now, will test uli maya) problem is mukhang nagoverheat yung auto kapag highway na ang takbo at naka AC.. Dami ko hinala. haha.. Una yung bago kong compressor, nagstart lng mag over heat nung nasira compressor clutch ko last month. nagpalit ko bago compressor.. di nwala overheat and pansin ko overspill.. Baka may drag uli sa bagong compresor? ..Pangalawa, yung Bagong thermostat, mukhang closed or halfway open lng.. dahil sa overheating prob ko nagpa radiator flush ako, new coolant and lagay bago thermostat, persistent overspilling but pansin ko tumataas lng temp kapag nauubusan tubig sa expansion tank.. now with the new cap, no overspilling so far but tumataas temp.Naku.. Third, baka waterpump problem na, although la ako naririnig na noise (bearing) or makikita leaks or rust sa waterpump housing... pwede din radiator.. haha lahat na lng.. Plano ko is to remove the thermostat muna, drive without it see kung ano results, then cguro change the water pump and have my radiator overhauled na din if persistent pa rin problema. Mga Sir, ok lng ba to use the Auto without the thermostat? for diagnostic purposes lng.. Salamat sa inputs nyo and Godbless
    Dude use paragraphs. Nakakdokleng.

I don't think there's anything catastrophic. If you're running at highway speeds the ram air should be sufficient to keep your engine cool unless you're gunning it and your fans aren't working. You'd only overheat if there is no coolant flow or no coolant.

Or in very extreme cases your radiator core is fouled with mud. You haven't gone offroading with that I'm sure.

So first thing's first -you have a leak. Check all joints, fittings, hose connections, and caps. Leaks crawl, they don't just drip at the hole location.

The surge tank is exactly for overflowing coolant when temp builds up pressure causing coolant to overflow. This is a good sign, it means that this subsystem is working.

I'm thinking you have a leak and the resultant overheating ends up pushing coolant to the surge tank.

Your thermostat is likely still working. You seem to get from start to warm up normally.

Before all this happened what was the color of the remaining coolant?

Thing is you're already going to Ford, why not have them do the diagnostics?
    Last edited by EVO-V; January 16th, 2013 at 04:33 PM.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Thanks sir Evo sa inputs and pasensya na po for not using paragraphs. Newbie sa pagpost sa mga forums like this

Went ahead and removed the thermostat. Car temp went up after 5km, pulled over to check for spilling coolant. New Cap seemed to have solve the car's overspilling problem. No leaks din po.

Drove the Car po uli for few meters, pansin ko di bumababa temp gauge even when driving slowly. Had to stop and park the car cause nearing red na po yung gauge (medyo natakot). Pinalamig ko muna makina.

Naka-uwi din po, driving cautious and constantly looking at the temp gauge.. tumaas but didnt reach the redline. Medyo mas napapabilis pa ata overheating nung sasakyan nung tinanggal ko thermostat.

Tingin ko po baka ang radiator and may problema. Not able to cool the coolant and with the thermostat removed, maslumala coz masmabilis pagbalik ng mainit na coolant sa makina.. ???

Tingin nyo mga boss..

3. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Have your radiator cleaned or better yet replace it with a new one and put a new thermostat as well. Now since it overheated and the temp gauge was almost on the read-line only worsen your problem. Paayos mo na agad yan.

I'm not sure kung aluminum ang cylinder head ng 99 Expe, but if it is the have it checked for warping and have it pressure tested also palit ka na rin ng cylinder head gasket.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    San sir ok magpapressure test and papalit head gasket? how much kaya cost? salamat

5. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by g_spott79 View Post
    San sir ok magpapressure test and papalit head gasket? how much kaya cost? salamat
    Unfortunately I can't help you with that, dito kasi ako sa pangasinan.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Sir I am having overheating issues of my own so I cant say for sure.

Pero patignan mo na sa mekaniko baka sira na cylinder head gasket. Excess pressure from there will push water to the reserve tank. Try mo open radiator, pag bumubulwak yun tubig/boils heavily with bubbles baka may tama yun gasket. Papalitan mo na sir kesa lumala pa - kung yuhn yung problem

7. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    The function of the reservoir is essentially that of a surge tank.

Any overpressure in the loop would cause coolant to flow out of the radiator and into the tank.

Once pressure normalizes, the coolant should be drawn back into the radiator/engine.

If it doesn't, it means that there is a sealing issue in your cooling system. Check all joints, radiator caps, sensor probes, drain plugs etc.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Overspilling Reservoir Tank