New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    before replacing the head gasket, let the mechanic first check the oil cooler. this is common to isuzu engines ng hilander, there might be tiny holes in the oil cooler which is usually rusted na if you have not been changing the coolant often.

the only way the head gasket will get busted if the engine before had been overheated. Isuzu engines are robust but its no.1 enemy is overheating.

BTW mahal yan oil cooler na yan mga 4k sa casa, some technicians sa casa just weld the holes if its just small pa lang sort of band aid solution. when changing the coolant, be sure to flush the entire cooling system to get rid of oil deposits in the cooling system. I know this for a fact since it happened to my inlaws hilander also.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    thanks to all your replies.. really helped a lot. Yes, initial suspect is the head gasket, but a nearby talyer ruled it out ok naman daw.

*ARB >> oil cooler din yung suspect ng friend ng Dad ko. it makes sense now, mahal nga sa casa 7K pa nga e.

about the highlander, it has never overheated in its 6 year life, not once. kahit ngayon na may problem we still you it (short trips, pang hatid ng kids) and wala syang pinapakitang sign na may sira sya, but you are all correct dapat ng mapatignan na to bago lumala.

again, thanks to you all. kung may masa suggest kayo ng talyer, please do so, wala ako ng alam na expert sa diesel engines e.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ARB View Post

the only way the head gasket will get busted if the engine before had been overheated.
    False .

4. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    too much boost can do it too... head will lift and gasket warps.

also if you have lots of detonation it is possible to damage the headgasket too.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by speedyfix View Post
    too much boost can do it too... head will lift and gasket warps.

also if you have lots of detonation it is possible to damage the headgasket

too.
    true .

6. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by m_ron View Post
    False .
    I'm talking about this engine lang not all, since he did not mention that the water in the radiator is going out the filler, it can be concluded that the head gasket is not yet damaged. In most cases sa diesel the head gasket gets damaged by overheating. And since this engine is not a turbo engine we can rule out also over boost. And if turbo over boosting will result to higher temp thus damaging the gasket. As far as I know the gasket of the 4ja1 is metal lined so its number 1 enemy is heat.

I know what i said does not apply to all engines, only on this instance that is why I was asking him about the history of the engine.

7. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ARB View Post
    I'm talking about this engine lang not all, since he did not mention that the water in the radiator is going out the filler, it can be concluded that the head gasket is not yet damaged. In most cases sa diesel the head gasket gets damaged by overheating. And since this engine is not a turbo engine we can rule out also over boost. And if turbo over boosting will result to higher temp thus damaging the gasket. As far as I know the gasket of the 4ja1 is metal lined so its number 1 enemy is heat.

I know what i said does not apply to all engines, only on this instance that is why I was asking him about the history of the engine.
    cool .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Oil in the radiator