New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2018
    I've been researching on how to get rid of the musty smell coming from the AC vents when turning the car on and a lot of people swear by this method*. My car is only a couple months old so I'm quite hesitant in doing something that could potentially ruin it. So my question now is, is it safe to spray Lysol in the air vents and was there an instance that this method messed up a car's interior? What other methods could you suggest, aside from bringing the car to the casa? Thank you in advance!

*[Too Lazy; Didn't Watch]
    1. Turn the AC on, fan on full blast.
    2. Switch from recirculation to fresh air mode.
    3. Open all the windows.
    4. Spray the Lysol disinfectant onto the AC vents just beneath the windshield.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    take out the ac filter. ibabad sa araw

heater mode if available....then max blower.

meron lng damp areas na hindi natuyo

3. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyvercetti View Post
    I've been researching on how to get rid of the musty smell coming from the AC vents when turning the car on and a lot of people swear by this method*. My car is only a couple months old so I'm quite hesitant in doing something that could potentially ruin it. So my question now is, is it safe to spray Lysol in the air vents and was there an instance that this method messed up a car's interior? What other methods could you suggest, aside from bringing the car to the casa? Thank you in advance!

3. Open all the windows.
    I already posted my solution in other threads I suppose. It is quite similar to what you posted except I don't spray to aircon vents near the windshield.

What I do is remove the cabin filter, turn the fan to the fastest setting with AC OFF (no need for cold air) and spray where the cabin filter was. In this manner, lysol will be reach the evaporator and every nook of the aircon vents. The purpose is to kill molds hence Lysol.

Some more tips:

Before arriving at your destination or before turning off the engine, turn off AC but let the fan on at fastest setting to dry out the evaporator and the aircon ducts.

Let your vehicle stay under the heat of the sun to further dry the interior of the vehicle. Molds like warm moist environment.

It will remove that funky smell in a week or so.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyvercetti View Post

3. Open all the windows.
    One of the possible reasons why there is a musty smell in your air conditioner is the growth of molds and bacteria. Try to fix it by injecting a treatment solution into the air conditioner case as well as using an anti-bacterial treatment when cleaning your dash panel. This will help evaporate the water which produces the musty smell. Also, check your aircon's draining tube if it's working properly. However, if you're uncertain of the process it's best to visit your trusted car shop to have it checked and diagnose. Hope this helps!

5. Join Date
    Mar 2024
    Addressing the musty smell emanating from the AC vents is imperative for maintaining a healthy and pleasant indoor environment. This odor could be indicative of mold or mildew growth within the ductwork, which not only compromises air quality but also poses potential health risks click here to know more. It's crucial to promptly investigate and remedy this issue by scheduling a professional HVAC inspection and cleaning to eliminate the source of the odor and ensure optimal functioning of the system.