New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2018
    update: rerouted the vacuum lines, found a link Возврат Mikuni на 4G91 — помогите с обвязкой. — Сообщество <<Японские Карбюраторы>> на DRIVE2 which best suits the carb and appurtenances installed on mine, with the exception of the purge valve and ECU monitor (both gone). adjusted the Mixture screw to the leanest possible.

Eggy ran fine, until it warmed up: now i have a case of high idle. or technically, the idle hangs at around 2K RPM. the last thing i fiddled with AFAIR was the BCDD on the carb. or was it called the altitude correction device? not sure kung ano mismo tawag on this Mikuni unit. been reading up a lot on how this little gizmo works on the carb, and im close to certainty that it's the BCDD that's causing me problems this time. it doesnt look like it is threaded, but that it changes its position and consequently its sensitivity relative to its orientation .

sa mga may experience na, could the hanging idle be due to the leaner idle mixture? im wary that simply changing the position of the BCDD screw will not revert the idle to how it was before. mamayang gabi or bukas ko pa ng umaga masisipat ulit yung makina.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2018
    looks like it was the BCDD. cleaned it and fixed the stuck brass pin (valve?) inside. i felt the engine liked having its advancer connected to full manifold vacuum for full advance. idles well, but i feel there is some skipping on the ignition. checked the plugs, all looked the same, medyo sooty, pointing to a rich mixture if not leaky valve seals or worn rings. found out pinutulan lang yung old springs to achieve that lowered stance (and maybe at the expense of repeated damage to suspension), so i decided to change the springs with new ones. grabe ang taas ng wheel gap, pero oks na din since mababalik na yung proper suspension geometry and hopefully better steering.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by MugshotXL5 View Post
    looks like it was the BCDD. cleaned it and fixed the stuck brass pin (valve?) inside. i felt the engine liked having its advancer connected to full manifold vacuum for full advance. idles well, but i feel there is some skipping on the ignition. checked the plugs, all looked the same, medyo sooty, pointing to a rich mixture if not leaky valve seals or worn rings. found out pinutulan lang yung old springs to achieve that lowered stance (and maybe at the expense of repeated damage to suspension), so i decided to change the springs with new ones. grabe ang taas ng wheel gap, pero oks na din since mababalik na yung proper suspension geometry and hopefully better steering.
    good for you!
    it is difficult to bring it back to factory spec, especially if the previous owner did un-thinkable things to it.
    but the marked improvement in handling is... magical.
    Last edited by dr. d; October 25th, 2019 at 12:45 PM.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    good for you!
    it is difficult to bring it back to factory spec, especially if the previous owner did un-thinkable things to it.
    but the marked improvement in handling is... magical.
    you are right sir, steers better now. problema ko na lang the engine dies when pressing the clutch, when cruising or shifting.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2018
    ...the engine dies when pressing the clutch, when cruising or shifting.
    changed plugs, turns out i was running too much vacuum advance at idle, retarded a bit and RPM increased. starts easier now, wala na yung feeling na the engine is about to seize. i can hit higher RPMs at idle, unlike before na pahirapan pa to hit 5K rpm with no AC load.

yun nga lang, doesnt sound like detonation pero andun yung lumalagitik. valve lashes?

6. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    changed plugs, turns out i was running too much vacuum advance at idle, retarded a bit and RPM increased. starts easier now, wala na yung feeling na the engine is about to seize. i can hit higher RPMs at idle, unlike before na pahirapan pa to hit 5K rpm with no AC load.

yun nga lang, doesnt sound like detonation pero andun yung lumalagitik. valve lashes?
    "click click click" ?
    sounds like valve sounds, po.
    get a hold of the factory spec valve clearances, and adjust yours, po. in some cars, that info is pasted somewhere in the engine bay.
    hearing that sound does not mean the valve clearance is too large.
    in some cars, that sound is normal.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Great adventure you have there! Congratulations on the improvements to your car.

If I may ask, why is it called an egg? I think the "pizza pie" came from the design of the rear lights.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Archerfish View Post
    Great adventure you have there! Congratulations on the improvements to your car.

If I may ask, why is it called an egg? I think the "pizza pie" came from the design of the rear lights.
    Itlog because of the shape of the turn signal lights....

9. Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by yapoy86 View Post
    Itlog because of the shape of the turn signal lights....
    I just checked and the turn signal lights looked like one.
    Lancer GLI itlog gapang kapag nakakabit ang AC belt

10. Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    "click click click" ?
    sounds like valve sounds, po.
    get a hold of the factory spec valve clearances, and adjust yours, po. in some cars, that info is pasted somewhere in the engine bay.
    hearing that sound does not mean the valve clearance is too large.
    in some cars, that sound is normal.
    havent fiddled with the rockers yet. will try to take off the valve cover sometime next month basta may oras to adjust the clearances.

some observations pa:

1) Rekta rad fans rob energy when starting the car. Why mechanics do it, i do not understand one bit. Also, some of the electrical systems such as the wipers, room and trunk lights, radio, horns - among others - all work independently and do not get power from the main supply: removing the fuses for these components does nothing. "Mechanics" splicing here, there, everywhere.

2) its 4G15 engine specifies a 5degree initial advance, advancer connected to ported vacuum. Needless to say, acceleration is lethargic, and was fouling plugs left and right, and parang may nagsusuntukan sa loob. Adjusted to 10degrees more or less using an inclinometer (no timing light available), and feels it still wants more initial and total advance. works better so far.

3) changed all the coil springs; may putol yung front dati, and yung rear naman ay suko na. back to stock ride height. yay! i also adjusted the camber/caster of the rear wheels, pero malamang di ito exact and on spec, tinantya ko lang yung alignment.

4) I still have problems with plugs getting fouled. In the last half-assed carb tear down i did, i saw the idle fuel cut-off solenoid, saddle, and mixture control solenoid had worn o-rings. Of the three, yung MCS yung di ko napalitan kasi wala akong available na kasukat. Tsaka Sunday, sarado mga auto supply.

hay buhay.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast