New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    I just had my aircon system cleaned and refilled with freon. And while the aircon tech was going about the cleaning of my evap i asked him why is my aircon not that cold during noon time? he answered “its because these cars are not designed for tropical countries like the Philippines”. Okay, that got me pique a little bit so a follow up question is in order, I asked “what if we replace my evap with a laminated one? and may be we can also replace the condenser as well?” and he said “it will still be the same”. By this time I was screaming inside my head and wanted to argue with him but I decided not to and instead I’ll just ask you guys here if what he said have any incling of truthfullness.

So, what do you think sirs, are laminated evaps and condensers not that effective as a replacement to the stock evaps and condensers? (as per the statement of my aircon mech, it’s just the same...)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by box_type; August 18th, 2018 at 06:43 PM.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Malamang walang alam sa hvac system yan "technician". Natuto or nagmamarunong lang

Sent from my MI MAX 2 using Tapatalk

3. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by box_type View Post
    I just had my aircon system cleaned and refilled with freon. And while the aircon tech was going about the cleaning of my evap i asked him why is my aircon not that cold during noon time? he answered “its because these cars are not designed for tropical countries like the Philippines”. Okay, that got me pique a little bit so a follow up question is in order, I asked “what if we replace my evap with a laminated one? and may be we can also replace the condenser as well?” and he said “it will still be the same”. By this time I was screaming inside my head and wanted to argue with him but I decided not to and instead I’ll just ask you guys here if what he said have any incling of truthfullness.

So, what do you think sirs, are laminated evaps and condensers not that effective as a replacement to the stock evaps and condensers? (as per the statement of my aircon mech, it’s just the same...)

If your components are OEM they should be fine. There is no need to change them unless defective.
    If the cabin size changed, then the cooling load will have increased. Assuming you have the same interior volume and assuming the insulation the same your system should be adequate.

The evap, condenser should be clean though. No paint over spray on the condenser.

Change your A/C shop. That parts replacers does not understand how the A/C works. Maybe he doesn't use a thermometer and an accurate manifold gauge.

Incompetence is evidenced by lack of understanding and resorting to excuses

4. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    what is the coldest temperature in the morning vs noon time? (max settings)

5. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by box_type View Post

my sentra is factory serpentine.
    when it sprung a leak, my man replaced it with laminated, because it was much cheaper than serpentine, and because "i did not give specific-enough instructions". i had given him more than enough cash, as i already knew how much serpentine costs.
    hayun... the resulting cold was hilaw na hilaw. and the evaporator would ice up and block air flow. and this was during the colder -ber month.
    in exasperation, after two weeks, i replaced it with serpentine. the resulting cold was like factory brand new again!

errr... what is your car, po?
    back in the day, nissans (i.e., my sentra) were given the reputation of having the coldest aircons around. but nowadays, it would seem that the competition has caught up.
    Last edited by dr. d; August 19th, 2018 at 01:09 AM.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    my sentra is factory serpentine.
    when it sprung a leak, my man replaced it with laminated, because it was much cheaper than serpentine, and because "i did not give specific-enough instructions". i had given him more than enough cash, as i already knew how much serpentine costs.
    hayun... the resulting cold was hilaw na hilaw. and the evaporator would ice up and block air flow. and this was during the colder -ber month.
    in exasperation, after two weeks, i replaced it with serpentine. the resulting cold was like factory brand new again!

errr... what is your car, po?
    back in the day, nissans (i.e., my sentra) were given the reputation of having the coldest aircons around. but nowadays, it would seem that the competition has caught up.
    Nissan is very popular for their Calsonic AC system. Very efficient. I hope Nissan still uses Calsonic nowadays.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2012
    lagi ko nga naririnig yan laminated evaporator pag may butas evaporator. sinabi pa ng mga aircon mechanic mas mahal yun laminated kasi mas malamig daw meron din daw local na evaporator makapal pero mabagal daw lumamig.

my previous corolla (2nd hand) evaporator was replaced nalaman ko nalang nung hinde na lumalamig tapos yun evaporator maliit lang sa lagayan, sabi nung nag bukas ng aircon napalitan na daw (converted). buti nakuha sa linis yun hinde lumamig after a few year binenta ko na yun car. nakakatakot kasi baka dahil hinde oem yun evaporator masunog compressor.

bakit ba kasi ang daming aircon shop sa aten lalo na yun tabi tabi lang na ang hilig i-magic ang evaporator and other parts... cost maybe a big factor.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    i always thought, serpentine was more expensive than laminated.
    but then, imported is usually more expensive than local.

the usual problem with non-casa or non-oem, is that they are sometimes not a perfect fit.
    even a few mm is enough, for it not to fit right.
    i once tried to fit the cheaper replacement variety in my innova's rear evaporator. it was off by just less 5 mm, but it was enough for the thing not to sit right.

9. Join Date
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by 2lits17 View Post
    bakit ba kasi ang daming aircon shop sa aten lalo na yun tabi tabi lang na ang hilig i-magic ang evaporator and other parts... cost maybe a big factor.
    Years ago, I remember my dad once scolded yung mga mechanics namin at my uncle's talyer:

"Dinesign ng engineer na Hapon yan tapos rere-medyohan nyo lang?!?!" Then everybody would laugh.

===
    It was really funny how they'd "MacGyver" (like the `90's TV show) repairs on the engines of the suking jeepney and taxis to keep them running. Naayos naman!

10. Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by 2lits17 View Post

I remember a few years ago when I had the radiator cleaned. Someone suggested that I replace it with a bigger one as the car will be more efficient. That is, the car will consume less fuel because of the better cooling capacity.

Since I'm not an automotive expert, I verified to the guy that a bigger radiator will be heavier together with the added volume of water it will carry. He answered, "Yes it's heavier." That's the time I asked him how the car will be more fuel efficient with the added weight. He didn't answer and kept his mouth shut.

Another thing, the guy who was cleaning the radiator kept on suggesting that I remove the thermostat. I couldn't think of way to say politely to leave it as is so I kept my mouth shut.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Laminated Evaporator and Condenser are they for real?