New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    I have this Kia Sorento 2004 CRDI, automatic transmission, good car , but lately it is giving head aches.

The air con is not cooling no more, have cleaned/ flushed, changed the filter, and the expansion valve, still it did not work. The repair shop tech, ( not from Kia ) said that it could be the digital thermostat that needs to be replaced, unfortunately , we could not find this digital thermostat in Cebu, not even from the Kia dealers in Cebu, perhaps because I got my Sorento direct from Korea, and the climate control gadgets are digital . The Sorento sold in the Philippines are being installed with the manual ball type climate control. So here I am, needing the best help / assistance or guidance on how to locate this digital thermostat, or perhaps assist me how convert this manual should locating a digital would be to no avail.

Thanks and best regards.
    Gem Cadiz - from Cabinda Angola

l

2. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    It could be the evaporator or the compressor that needs some cleaning, or the worst, replacement. Bring it muna sa friendly aircon technicians for diagnosis.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Bro,
    Much appreciated, thanks a lot for the feedback.
    Rgds.
    Gem Cadiz

4. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    AFAIK, cars with climate controls uses a RESISTIVE type Thermostat in the evaporator / cooling coil, its main function is just to prevent the cooling coil from freezing during operation... when hot the Resistive thermostat is in CLOSED state, when the cooling coil reached a certain temp (-5deg celsuis) the resistive thermostat will be in OPEN state thus turning off the compressor.. Climate controllers control the cabin temp by introducing "hot air" inside the cabin (heat coming from the radiator water) and not by controlling the compressor on/off cycle unlike conventional ANALOG thermostat

You should check if the compressor is engaging properly.. You can ask your aircon tech (i'm sure they know it) to bypass the electrical connection of your compressor and directly connect it to 12V power supply and see if it will engage... if it does not engage then you may have a problem with its magnetic clutch coil.. If the compressor engages during bypass, then you may have an electrical problem... for electrical problem, check for blown-out fuse, check aircon relay functionality...

If the above items checked OK, try checking the type and quality of the FREON used for your system... I have experienced this in my Kia carnival, all components are new, filter drier, expansion valves, and the system is completely flushed and vacuumed but still the air conditioning is not sufficient, I later brought it to another aircon shop and they said the FREON is not the right type for my system eventhough its R134a, they re-flush and vacuum my system and recharged with the proper FREON and voila, its freezing cold after the replacement..

5. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Sir Yapoy,

I am profoundly thankful for you advice, now I know it really is worthy to be in this forum, we will try to have it fix as you have suggested.
    I will tell my son in Cebu to bring the Sorento to a good shop next week .

Best Regards, Gem Cadiz - Transocean Drilling -Cabinda, Angola

6. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Glad to be of service to a fellow tsikot member..If the compressor is engaging properly, make sure that the system has the required FREON charge, (specs can be found in engine bay) eventhough your climate controls are digital, still your airconditioner compressor is controlled by a relay, check if the relay is getting a signal to turn on the compressor..also make sure the system is fully vacuumed for at least 30mins to make sure the system is clean and free from moisture.. if the compressor is engaging, they can check if its still pumping properly, and make sure they fill it with good quality FREON..

7. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Sir Yapoy,
    I am coming home for my normal vacation on May 29th, I will be passing by Manila for two days, I work on a 5 weeks on x 5 weeks off schedule.
    Normally I fly straight to Cebu via Hong Kong, but this time I will be in Manila for two days before heading home to Cebu .

I do appreciate you effort in helping me out, I think your expert opinion will solve the problem, just wondering if I could call you on your phone to say hello and thanks, perhaps a few rounds of beer will help, it will be my pleasure to talk to you. I am old man though, 57 yrs old to be exact

Best Regards,
    Gemelo J. Cadiz
    Materials Supv. - Transocean Drilling ( Offshore Oil Drilling )
    Cabinda , Angola

Kia Sorento 2004 CRDI Model TLX Air Con Problem