New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by samcoy View Post
    I'm planning on bringing my car to car aircon shop this coming weekend for annual cleaning. Sabay ko na din sana ipa-replace freon to 134a but I'm not sure kung kelangan. How do I know if my car is already using 134a? Is there a particular year model that started using it or my indicator ba sa engine bay or somewhere else in the car?

My car is Altis 2003 J AT.

Thanks in advance.

1. the service fittings are going to be quick disconnect rather than screw on type schrader valve
    2. the service valves will be backwards in terms of size: R134a- the low side will have a smaller service fitting and the high side will have a smaller fitting
    3. if it is a thermal expansion valve type, usually will not have a sight glass
    4. it will have a lower suction side pressure
    5. the connections and flanges will use HBNR (green ) o-rings or seals
    6. should the evaporator develop a leak, it will smell like horse crap inside the cabin
    7. if you use a halide torch leak detector, the flame will not change even if there was a substantial leak
    8. by golly, if was produced later than 1994, it should be standard equipped with R134a
    9. it should already have a sticker that it uses R134a if it was original or it was retrofitted, any competent technician will already put a sticker on it stating it was retrofitted

2. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Tama kayo mga bro, 134a na. Tsaka tama si Mile2 nasa ilalim ng hood sa unahan yung sticker. Thanks ulit!

3. Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by abril View Post
    Alam ko hindi basta pinapalitan ng 134a ang ac mo, marami pang modification ang kailangan gawin sa cooling system mo. May sticker sa sa may engine bay kung 134a na ang ac mo.
    134A na yan. But if it's R12 you can convert it to 134A, it's not that complicated. You just need to replace the dryer, drain the oil, and if budget permits a new compressor doesn't matter if it's R12 or 134A spec.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12