New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Actually... redline water wetter has been tested in competition conditions by racers, and they swear by it. On the racetrack, despite having a working high-pressure radiator cap and a looser thermostat, excessive heat produced by long periods of high-revving can overload an engine's cooling capacity. Water Wetter keeps the water in the coolant from boiling over once this point has been reached (and, believe you me, drive hard enough, like I do, and you can definitely reach it).

Mike Kojima swears by it... and I trust the guy... like, man... he's the dude...

-----

As for new engines running really hot... it's crazy... issues with tuning the Focus TDCi for racing includes the fact that it runs maybe ten to twenty degrees hotter (in terms of coolant temps) than anything else. That's why it's got a waterless system. If you tried to use water in the TDCi's coolant tank... kablooey.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

2. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    I agree. To each his own.

And be familiar with your cars. If in doubt, follow the carmakers recommendation. Coolant is only a part of the whole cooling system.

The cooling efficiency is calculated by the carmakers based on the 'totality of the cooling system design' of a particular car which should suffice even in harsher temperature conditions. I used to have 50:50 glycol mix exclusively and my cars run very nicely, though the cost is repulsive sometimes.

However, one cannot be really prevented to cool their cars according to their wishes, limitations, needs, or fancies. For example many PUJs here, use 'pure tap water', employ a larger capacity radiators, they remove the thermovalve even the radiator cap, but they add water frequently and it works according to their wishes; cost vs benefit in given point in time and situation.

With slower flow of cash, we may wonder if we can at least reduce the amount of the glycol coolant in the mix and IMO it can be done with precautions, without hurting our engines based on the technical facts and experiences.

You can even replace 'glycol based coolant' entirely with other additives and it will be just fine.

And please remember thet cooling sytem of our cars are prone to deteriorate as they old, to which standard fixes do not apply, practical, nor possible with the existing condition. In that case, do as you think right and be satisfied with it.

But please, don't put a joke in your brand new million buck car.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Well... for PUJs, it's okay... because they have relatively old and robust engines... but the "thermostat-out" style certainly helps contribute to air pollution in the metro.

As for putting jokes in a brand new car... well, according to mbt, the new Mercedes C-Class requires Johnnie Walker Blue Label for coolant. Should work wonders.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    "Johnny Walker Blue Label for C-class MB"

Hanep talaga MB, it is second to none, always ahead of the class.

Caution lang po sa mga gustong gumamit ng SURFACTANTS like 'Redline Waterwetter', madali po itomg mag-leak kahit sa mga micro crack and holes. You might be surprised that your radiator is leaking suddenly.

Normal po yan dahil sa pagbaba ng surface tension ng coolant. Ganito din po ang nagyayari sa mga nag-shift to 'glycol mix' from water as is. Kala nila binutas na ng coolant yung radiator nila, ang totoo inilantad lang nito ang truth baga.

If this happens to you, distilled water (P20/L)with 'anti-corrosion/pump lube additive'(P100) plus(optional) 'stop leak products'(P60) na lang po siguro gamitin nyo(mga around 250 petot for a four-liter cooling system). Renew the mix after six mos initially, then pwede na siguro yearly.

Mas safe daw yung 'powder type stop leaks'. The liquid forms can have a higher chance of clogging your cooling system. Bar's anti-leak products if available.

There are also complaints of 'jelling' when 'Redline Waterwetter' is added to 50:50 Glycol mix. So, siguro add sa distilled water na lang kung dto gamit sa Pinas or use it with 75:25 to 70:30 water/glycol mix.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    those powder type stop leaks are crap! look what it does to the watter passages after you put it. parang lahat ng passages lumiliit since kumakapit sya to the metal.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    [QUOTE]those powder type stop leaks are crap!....[/QUOTE]

So, be careful mga Tol, 'Stop Leak Products are not for the Faint-hearted, Panicky Individuals'

7. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    I have recently seen several B20 engine blocks na naka junk sa isang shop dito sa Bagiuo. Corroded yung ibabaw na part which caused the these engines to overheat. I have been told that this is due to the use of coolant instead of pure distilled water. What do you think about this guys?

8. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by GBStJames View Post
    I have recently seen several B20 engine blocks na naka junk sa isang shop dito sa Bagiuo. Corroded yung ibabaw na part which caused the these engines to overheat. I have been told that this is due to the use of coolant instead of pure distilled water. What do you think about this guys?
    sir baka hinde well maintained ung coolant. dapat every 2 years ung flushing ng coolants.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Coolant...