New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Sharing an old article: Honda's Tips on Proper Use of Car Aircon

Summer is officially here! Honda Cars Philippines, Inc. imparts practical tips on proper use and maintenance of car air-conditioning unit to beat the summer heat. The air-conditioning unit is an indispensable item in today's car especially in a tropical country such as ours.

In new cars, problems hardly ever occur but after a length of time, depending on the working conditions, its efficiency naturally diminishes. So, it is advisable that car owners know how to properly use and maintain the car's air-con system in order to obtain the longest possible service.

Here are the following suggestions:

1. Check the position of the compressor control switch (A/C knob) if it is in the 'open' or 'shut off' position. One should shut if off before starting the engine. This will avoid unnecessary drag caused by the compressor while cranking the engine.

2. Once the engine runs on, switch the fan on first. Blow the air-con's fan at the highest speed for about a minute in order to clear away the hot air trapped in the air-con's ducts. Then, depress the A/C knob to turn the compressor on at coolest temperature. The next step is to adjust the fan speed and temperature control switch to the level most comfortable to you.

3. Switch off the compressor before cutting off the engine. Keep the fan on at highest speed so that it blows away all humidity trapped inside the evaporator or 'air-box.' This will help eliminate the smell of stale air when you subsequently turn on air-con again, and at the same time, to lengthen the service of the evaporator. The process only takes about 2-3 minutes.

The smell of stale air inside air-con ducts can be eliminated by simply parking your car in a sunny, open space. Open all doors and leave the car for about 2-3 hours or until the smell finally disappears. Make sure that the sun's ray reaches the greater part of the cabin. If the stale smell still persists, however, consult a reliable service center nearby.

Honda's Tips on Proper Use of Car Aircon - Auto News by AutoIndustriya.com

2. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    No car freshener for me. This is my evaporator after using air spencer for 2 years.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 4

3. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rangeles View Post
    No car freshener for me. This is my evaporator after using air spencer for 2 years.

my last evaporator has subsequent problems like that evap in the picture, even after numerous cleaning sessions
    and discontinuing the use of air fresheners, the problem still persisted. Replacing the evaporator solved the issue. Really couldn't figure it out what was causing it to form molds and "sipon" like masses.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    ^ Hmmmm....A/C technicians told me that car fresheners are the culprit behind this "sipon" like masses on my evaporator.😤 Evaporator replacement solved this? That's kind of strange.
    Hmmmmm...what's your unit sir? Mine is a Fort.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    ^ Hmmmm....A/C technicians told me that car fresheners are the culprit behind this "sipon" like masses on my evaporator.�� Evaporator replacement solved this? That's kind of strange.
    Hmmmmm...what's your unit sir? Mine is a Fort.

Civic EK 99. Stopped using fresheners but the issue still persisted. The stock evap was original and was badly in need of replacement (already had leaks fixed by welding). The replacement evaporator is still doing well after more than a year, hope it holds up!

6. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Been using Air Spencer for 4-5 years on my 6 y/o car. When I had the evaporator core cleaned last year, the shop said, after doing an ocular, that it wasn't necessary (but I had it cleaned and reloaded with refrigerant anyway as a preventive measure). It had none/zero of those gelatin-like gunk. It was just a little dusty, which was to be expected on my then 5 y/o car.

I think what really matters here is whether the car is equipped with a cabin air filter or not. If it did, the cabin filter would've been able to capture (by my own estimation) more than 95% of air particulates.

If you regularly clean your home A/C's filter, you'll realize how helpful the filter is in prolonging the service interval of doing a complete A/C general cleaning. If it weren't for the filter, you'll be taking apart and hosing down the A/C in the garage every month or so.
    Last edited by oj88; May 3rd, 2014 at 11:42 PM.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    Been using Air Spencer for 4-5 years on my 6 y/o car. When I had the evaporator core cleaned last year, the shop said, after doing an ocular, that it wasn't necessary (but I had it cleaned and reloaded with refrigerant anyway as a preventive measure). It had none/zero of those gelatin-like gunk. It was just a little dusty, which was to be expected on my then 5 y/o car.

I think what really matters here is whether the car is equipped with a cabin air filter or not. If it did, the cabin filter would've been able to capture (by my own estimation) more than 95% of air particulates.

If you regularly clean your home A/C's filter, you'll realize how helpful the filter is in prolonging the service interval of doing a complete A/C general cleaning. If it weren't for the filter, you'll be taking apart and hosing down the A/C in the garage every month or so.
    could be the case on cabin filters.. but unfortunately for my 14 yr old EK theres no cabin filter

8. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    I had an A/C cabin filter installed since day 1. Hmmmm.....what may be the rootcause of this gelatin-like gunk on my evaporator fins? I really like the scent of air spencer lemon squash in my Fort. Hope some gurus here can shed light on this issue on A/C do's and don'ts to prevent eventual damage to our A/C system.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    I had an A/C cabin filter installed since day 1. Hmmmm.....what may be the rootcause of this gelatin-like gunk on my evaporator fins? I really like the scent of air spencer lemon squash in my Fort. Hope some gurus here can shed light on this issue on A/C do's and don'ts to prevent eventual damage to our A/C system.
    That may happen if the condensate is not being drained properly due to a clogged drain hose. Though unlikely, it may also be a design flaw, in that, condensate does not flow freely towards the drain and tends to bond to the fins.

You could also try avoiding setting the A/C thermostat on its coldest all the time. Maxing the thermostat may produce condensate faster than the system can purge/drain them. I keep mine at or near the 1 o'clock/60% setting (comfort cooling).... It may be worth a try.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2014
    :old::old::old:

-start engine
    -open aircon fan on
    -open thermostat switch on

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast