New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Nissan Serena 2002 QRV.R Ltd. A/T (not converted, bought from Nissan Cebu Inc.)

Hello.

Our Serena's Aircon is using a digital climate control system. But ever since we bought this car (about a year ago, second hand), I noticed that the aircon's compressor does not shut off. It always stays on even if the temperature is always set to 28-30C (the temperature range is from 18-32C).

The hotter the temperature is, the blower just turns down, but the compressor never stops working, even though it is set at 31 or 32 (heater, hot air na ang lumalabas). The only time it turns off is when I turn it off by pressing the OFF button, or when i press ECON, but it does not turn on again until i press AUTO, so the air will start getting warmer.

The disadvantages? It's noisy. And it's definetly making the FC higher.
    Nissans are known for their powerful aircons because of the big compressors which is of course putting weight on the engine, and it also eats up fuel.

I tried turning off the aircon or putting to ECONomy mode, the engine feels significantly stronger and lighter. I really think the aircon is hitting the fuel consumption really bad.

Our other cars' compressors turn off once it's cold enough.

Is this normal? or is there something wrong?

Theres an AMB button on the aircon and it shows normal temperatures. even if the AMB temperature is cooler than the setting, the compressor still turns on.

Thanks for reading.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    the thermostat?

3. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    cars nowadays are a bit complicated to fix like the one you have now.

what i usually perform first is to do a scan test and from there i start my own diagnostics with the aid of tech info

you need a qualified tech to handle the problem

4. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    even if the thermostat is at the warmest 32C, which is already heater, and mainit na yung lumalabas na hangin, umaandar pa rin yung compressor... I think i'm going to have it checked by a mechanic. i think thats why malakas sa gas yun compared sa ibang cars namin.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    mam, if malapit kayo s makati, try to bring your car at EMPIRE COOL located at 2251 don chino roces ave (formerly pasong tamo), para ma diagnos natin what talga problem ng car mo..

6. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    i'm in cebu. and im not a mam... thanks anyway...

7. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    marv25, climate control systems do not use Thermostat to control temperature..... it just mixes cold air and hot air from compressor and radiator that is why your compressor still works even if you set at the hot zone..

actually you have 2 evaporators there, one for the compressor (cold air) and another one for the radiator (hot air).. when you set the temp, the flaps adjust to control the hot and cold air mixture...

the only time it will stop is when the evaporator (cooling coil) reached temp of -5deg celsuis, it has an electronic thermostat that its main function is just to prevent the cooling coil from freezing...

You can have an Analog Thermostat to be installed to replace the electronic thermostat. Analog thermostat detects the cooling coil temperature via its probe then it has a dial where you can set the temperature... Or your set the climate control to MAX cold zone and manually turn-off the A/C switch when you feel cold and turn it ON when the cabin temp rises..

Do not rely on those climate control units...they are not applicable here in the philippines... better to install that analog thermostat..

if you will inspect your cooling coil housing you will notice there will be two wires going inside (check carefully since your Fan Resistor control is also installed in your cooling coil housing), this is the wire for the electronic thermostat... you can cut this, and connect it to the analog thermostat.. then insert the thermostat probe inside the housing and make sure it will be located past the air direction... (Fan -> Air direction -> Cooling coil -> Thermostat) or (Air direction -> Cooling Coil -> Thermostat - Fan) , then install the controller near the housing and set your desired temp... Analog thermostat will control the temperature by turning off or on the compressor.. once it reached your temp setting the compressor will disengage, once the cabin temp rises the compressor will engage..

Analog thermostat are very cheap usually 150 to 200 pesos only...

8. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    woah nice explanation there... but switching it to an analog thermostat wont be an option for us... well at least i know its normal...

When I set the temp to about 27-28C, its fine, not too cold or hot... but mabigat nga lang sa engine. I press ECON mode nga sometimes para lumakas ang hatak while overtaking, then balik sa AUTO. But yun nga lang hassle. And baka mabangga pa ako while pressing the button.

But hey thanks for the good explanation. At least I know its normal.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by yapoy86 View Post

You can have an Analog Thermostat to be installed to replace the electronic thermostat. Analog thermostat detects the cooling coil temperature via its probe then it has a dial where you can set the temperature... Or your set the climate control to MAX cold zone and manually turn-off the A/C switch when you feel cold and turn it ON when the cabin temp rises..

Do not rely on those climate control units...they are not applicable here in the philippines... better to install that analog thermostat..

if you will inspect your cooling coil housing you will notice there will be two wires going inside (check carefully since your Fan Resistor control is also installed in your cooling coil housing), this is the wire for the electronic thermostat... you can cut this, and connect it to the analog thermostat.. then insert the thermostat probe inside the housing and make sure it will be located past the air direction... (Fan -> Air direction -> Cooling coil -> Thermostat) or (Air direction -> Cooling Coil -> Thermostat - Fan) , then install the controller near the housing and set your desired temp... Analog thermostat will control the temperature by turning off or on the compressor.. once it reached your temp setting the compressor will disengage, once the cabin temp rises the compressor will engage..
    A classic way of hacking the system. Try to avoid this kind of modification as it will only add and create another problem.

Quote Originally Posted by bambino View Post
    cars nowadays are a bit complicated to fix like the one you have now.

what i usually perform first is to do a scan test and from there i start my own diagnostics with the aid of tech info

you need a qualified tech to handle the problem
    The only way to go.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    maybe i thought theres an electronic way to hack the climate control system... or i dont know...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Aircon compressor doesnt shut off