New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    tanong lang po sir.

What made you choose the U.S. spec CRV over a comparable car in its class?

Could you post your likes and dislikes on your CRV?

If I remember right you did own an MDX, what made you decide to replace it with a CRV?

For the "same" amount of $$$ (+/- $3000.00), lets say 27K below, what vehicle would your 1st & 2nd choice be?

I'm asking bec. maybe next year our petition might push thru and I'm already on the look out for a family vehicle (right now parang oks sa internet yung Forester XT).

Thank you so much sir.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    mag 4Runner ka nalang!!! (kahit pre-owned 2002 model) :D hehe imo

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    There's quite a few that you can buy with 27k. Go check out "kbb.com". Halos lahat ng kotse nandoon. Or even try "edmunds.com". This one they have reviews plus comparable vehicles in your choice's class. It may ask for zip code - just put in 94088.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Get a vehicle na maraming available na parts from the local scrapyard para tipid ka sa maintenance. Wala kasing surplasan diyan, eh. Pero madaming boneyards.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    preowned... ayaw ko, baka magkaproblema doon mahal pa naman labor.

4 runner hmmm sawa na ako sa matagtag na ride e (almost 4 yrs na yung current ride ko na w/ stiff rear suspension), gusto ko naman carlike yung ride.

Edmunds yup have already checked that out (excluded na for me ang Ford, Chevy, G.M., Korean badges).

actually the duty of the car/ SUV would be city driving and once a month cross country to a nearby state around 200 miles one way.

passengers would be me (driver), wife and a kid (~2 y.o.)

Thanks, keep the replies coming.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    why not try a minivan instead. Toyota Sieana seems nie. Also the new Nissan Quest really seems nice. Although I had the previous gen Quest, I wasn't satisified with it though. The new one is really appealing.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    IMHO ... If it snows in the place you're going to be in.. the CR-V can handle snow.
    Pag gusto mo performance and snow reliability get a Subaru WRX Wagon

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Originally posted by Rediesel
    tanong lang po sir.

What made you choose the U.S. spec CRV over a comparable car in its class?

Could you post your likes and dislikes on your CRV?

If I remember right you did own an MDX, what made you decide to replace it with a CRV?

For the "same" amount of $$$ (+/- $3000.00), lets say 27K below, what vehicle would your 1st & 2nd choice be?

I'm asking bec. maybe next year our petition might push thru and I'm already on the look out for a family vehicle (right now parang oks sa internet yung Forester XT).

Thank you so much sir.
    I have to admit that I made a mistake of trading the MDX. But at that time, it just seems practical.... malay kong buntis na pala si misis. Now, the CR-V looks kind of cramped with 2 car seats at the rear pero every baby needs still fits on it (i.e. strollers, bunch of big toys for my elder one and a lot of small toys for my baby, car bottle warmer, baby bags, etc.

A lot of the image-conscious individuals might probably choose a rugged body on frame truck but comfort is high on my priority list since I am buying a family car. Speaking of priority list, SAFETY is numero uno for me and the CR-V ranks third behind the X5 and the MDX in terms of safety (http://www.nhtsa.gov/NCAP/Cars/2002SUVs.html).

I only owned 2 SUVs and 1 car in my lifetime and I can only compare the 2002 CR-V EX against my previous 2001 MDX Touring and 2000 Civic EX, so bear with me. The three primary things I wanted that my 2000 Civic EX lacked was 4WD (all-weather capability), more room and high seating, and at the time the MDX was my only option. Most of the other stuff the MDX has is wonderful, but stuff I could probably have lived without. In fact, there are several things on the 2nd gen 'V that I wish were on my 'X. These are, in descending order of importance:

1) Width. Sometimes I wish my 'X wasn't quite as wide. I was always worried when parking since the MDX doesn't have any BSMs.

2) Pass through betwwen the front seats. My wife really liked this feature as it allows her to reach our kids in the back seat. There's nothing scarier than watching your wife try to vault over the center console of the 'X (with her shoes on the leather seats) while driving 75 mph down the highway.

3) Glass hatch that opens seperately from tailgate. I really need this since I sometimes had to bring my lawn mower (a Honda of course) to somebody who borrows it. I also had to take my old lawnmower up to the shop for repairs several times in the 'X and I had to tilt the mower up in the air in order to get the handlebars inside the tailgate. Then I had to drive with one hand and hold the mower with my other hand to keep it from hitting the leather seats. Of course, I probably could have just disassebled the handle, but I'm lazy.

4) Picnic table/fish tub. Not that I use it a lot but it's nice to know it's there.

5) Regular fuel. I still don't quite understand how the Oddy has the same hp on regular fuel, while I'm required to burn premium (for maximum performance). The 'V gets 22/26 mpg (auto EX) on regular fuel, so the fuel savings would have been substantial. The performance penalty is not that much. I've seen auto 2nd gen 'Vs tested at 8.7 sec 0-60, and 5 speed manuals at 8.2 seconds, which is only up to .5 sec slower than the 'X. In fact, one of the major reviewers (Edmunds, C&D or MT, can't remember which) tested a 5 spd 'V and actually did the 1/4 mile 0.1 sec quicker (at same mph) on a rain slicked test track than the 'X. Of course, the auto 'V was not as fast as the 'X, but still faster than the ML320

6) Cupholders. even though the 'X has 10 cupholders, I much preferred the cupholders in the 'V. The ones in the center console of the 'X are not much use IMO as they wind up behind my shoulder even with the seat all the way back. That leaves me with two behind the gear shift, which if they spill, makes a mess out of everything. In my 'V, I had one that popped out of the dash that were great cuz if they spilled it would land on the floor mats below (great for fries). It also had two in the flip down center table that were very handy as well. That meant I had 3 very useable cupholders up front, unlike two just adequate cupholders in the 'X. Hmmm...with all the fast food I eat maybe I should have listed this one first

7) Intermittent rear wiper. Not a big deal, and Acura has added this to the newer 'Xs. But I wish my '01 had it.

8) Auto up driver's window. Again, not a big deal, but you'd think the 'X (which costs almost twice as much) would have had this feature found on the 2nd gen 'V. Not available for newer 'Xs either AFAIK.

9) Rear windows that roll all the way down. This again is minor, but with my rear windows tinted as dark as they are, it makes it difficult for my six-year old to see out the window when I roll them down.

10) full size spare. Again, not a big deal and several forum members have added this themselves. But I was rather dissapointed to learn about this considering that I like to go off-roading (before my second baby).

In EX trim, the 'V also has slide and tilt moonroof, 6 disc in dash CD, ABS, ebd, side airbags and sunglass holder just like the 'X, slightly better head and leg room, especially in the rear seat (but worse shoulder and hip room), slightly better ground clearance, and better approach and departure angles (but worse breakover).

What it primarily lacks compared to the 'X is lockable rear diff (not that necessary for the generally flat trails in SC where I was doing som offroading before), leather, 7 row seating (which I've rarely used but now miss), beefiness which helps safety and tow capacity, navi (which I don't have or miss anyway), climate control, dual zone climate control, power seats, trip computer, homelink (but according to CR-V Engineer the Oddy unit will fit the 'V), and several other neat gizmos. The 'V also only has 72 cu ft of cargo capacity compared to the 81 in the 'X, but I think 72 would have been enough for my needs (especially with the seperately opening hatch), and compared to the X5 it's still huge.

The 'V finished first in the May article of Consumer Reports, a head to head comparo against the Freelander, Liberty, Vue, and XL-7. The 2nd gen 'V also recieved the highest average score in a recent Truck Trend comparo against the Frellander, Escape, and RAV4.

While it is true that CR still gives more overall points to the RAV4 and Forester, it also gives more points to the Santa Fe (although they don't recommend it). It's hard to take an automotive review seriously that makes absolutely no mention of the engine's torque, arguably the most essential stat for an SUV.

As for the RAV4 and Forester, they finished #3 and #4 compared to the ready for retirement first gen V at #5 in C&D's "White Snow and the Eleven Dwarfs" review from March 2001 (the Tribape twins finsished #1 and #2). It is clear from looking at the scoring table that the 2nd gen 'V would now score well ahead of both the RAV4 and Forester, and probably the Tribape (which it already does according to CR and Truck Trend). The 2nd gen improvements are good for at least a one point increase in each of the following C&D categories IMO: engine, transmission, brakes, driver comfort, ergonomics, features and amenities, and fun to drive. Since the first gen 'V got 86 points, the Foreste got 88 points, the RAV4 90 points, and the Tribape 91, I predict that the 2nd gen 'V will win in the next comparison. I know the Forester was updated for '03, but from what I've seen it will not be able to match the 2nd gen 'V.

For more reviews, visit CR-V Library of Reviews

If I have $27K my choics would be:
    1) Honda Pilot
    2) Honda CR-V
    3) Acura TSX
    4) Subaru WRX
    5) New Honda Accord
    6) Mazda 6
    7) Toyota Highlander
    8) VW Passat

HTH ;)

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Since Brand new at 27K
    my choice would be
    the Honda Pilot
    Pilot and MDX are clone except for some luxury thingies.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Ayus! galing mo talaga Macky! ganda pa engine ng CR-V dyan sa US... 2.4L VTEC! :whoa:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
ATTN: Macky (others may also reply)